reinder

Re: CAN Interface

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:25 am

kjarke wrote:I would be very interested in the CAN adapter for marine applications to get NMEA2000 data onto a tablet computer either via USB or wifi. I guess both would be possible with the pi.

The thing with NMEA2000 is that it is a very closed standard and official certifications is quite expensive. They even want money from app developers to display the data. NMEA2000 to something else bridges are also supposed to be certified. This open source approach would be awesome ;) !

The ideal adapter would have 2 CAN interfaces plus one RS422 + a 12V power supply. The second CAN bus would be useful for a 2nd network on the boat which is not NMEA2000 (J1939 from engines for example or CANOpen). RS422 is used for an older NMEA0183 which is still common for GPS. With these interfaces you could easily replace several $1000 worth of equipment. You could do J1939 to NMEA2000, NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 and all of that to and from wifi or USB! I might check if there are enough interrupts available for 2 CAN controllers plus CS lines. I just started to get my head around the pi today.
This may be an interesting project for you: https://github.com/canboat/canboat#readme

ericdes

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:49 pm

One thing that would be usfull to me is a cheap diagnostic device that I can send customers, and ask them to plug into their tracking equipment so that I can remote monitor it.
FlappySocks -> How far are you into this ? I have a similar project: I'd like to collect raw CAN bus data then inject them into existing auto diag software...

Eric.

stenniswood

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Please check out my website: http://www.beyond-kinetics.com

There are 100 boards in stock which use 2515 chip off the SPI port.

These are professionally verified wave soldered parts.

Return to “Other projects”