DBloke

Re: TECHNOMAGE!!! (sorry)

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Ok ill say it I am a Babylon 5 fan and I had this (rather sad) idea going round in my head for a few years, it would end up being bloody expensive, but I think I might be able to get the cost (and size) of it down with a Pi

Main core Pi

Visual side done by these

Projecting things done with one of those Pico projectors strapped to wrist

Controlling done via a very small trackball in the palm of hand moved by end two fingers (or thumb, would say eye tracking, but thats a bit to futuristic)

Keyboard done by a mini one (unless there is a mini one handed one)

Power supply done by some kind of mini solar panels and wind up charger

All inside one of those long letaher jackets.

Staff with a few strong LEDs inside it and smoke (or maybe have the trackball inside that going by blutooth

Ok im going outside for a while

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Love it! You're not the only one with similar plans - I have been daydreaming about tricorders.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

DBloke

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:34 pm

^They are called iPhones (Better phones are available)

Communicators did give the idea for mobile phones (sort of).

scubaguy

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 pm

liz said:

Love it! You're not the only one with similar plans - I have been daydreaming about tricorders.

And if we can get together and design one, we can share the $10M:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/tech.....y-16518171

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:09 am

There's a very good tricorder app on the Android Market. It presents all the sensor data, radio signal strengths and (strangely) solar data fetched from the Internet, in Next Gen format, including a spectrum plot of the audio data.

DBloke

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:05 am

Please trekkies, you have your own topic.

willlim

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Some time ago i say something similar in another topic.
I even started look for hardware to do this "trinket" my intention is buy a model A  specifically to do one. my auto imposed deadline is in july/august(if possible in time to FISL rs) , my intention is mounting inside a Headset with large earphones in one site the Rpi in anothe the batteries and auxiliary hardware(gps, gsensors, webcam...), a adapted keyboard in the forearm.
The first prototype will be a very creepy thing since everting will be improvised, but to the follers versions(hopefully the third untill the end of the year).
The intentions to software/hardware integrations includ sensors to hand movement(instead mouse) augmented reality using gps+Gsensors(kind a map or turistic information about the region tha you are)
With the Gsensors will even is possible caths the possition were you are looking an add some extras in this.
In the first problaby i will using a 1,5"LCD from a foto frame or a cheep chinese mp4. in only one eye using a  Fresnel lens(this will be harsh to find) due the proximity whit the eyes.
My intenions include post the steps in some blog, and obviously here in the forum.

excuse my bad english i'm from Brazil

DBloke

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:04 pm

A tiny LCD is kinda vital.

Maybe instead of having glasses just have a single monocle type thing (or something like they have on Dragonball).

Display to others will be doen with a projector.

Recording there are very small cameras,  the quality isnt the best, but they can be cheap

Main thing is with techno mages is its all hidden so cables must be hidden, the R-Pi is very small so can go in a pocket

Could always go down the Deus EX route

Prometheus

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 pm

DBloke said:

(or something like they have on Dragonball).

Oh, wow, I'd love to have my own Scouter. That'd need a translucent display, though, and I'm not even entirely sure that those exist in an affordable price-bracket yet.

DBloke

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:14 am

Just dont scan Gokus power level or it will be junk

willlim

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Prometheus said:

DBloke said:

(or something like they have on Dragonball).

Oh, wow, I'd love to have my own Scouter. That'd need a translucent display, though, and I'm not even entirely sure that those exist in an affordable price-bracket yet.

The most of the LCD are translucent and and use backlight, for this tipe of visor the ideal is use some LCD from old Cellphones with black pixel only

Hedgehog1

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:58 am

Back to the original Techno Mage idea (great concept – the groups technology was so advanced they admitted it was not magic, but still acted like wizards).

I think the use of a pico projector and a RasPi is a very clever idea.  Both are easily battery driven and could be mounted in most anything.

I am thinking that building them into a 'wizards stick' with projector pointing up could let you aim the image anywhere and be a lot of fun.  Trackball on the side under your thumb to control your magic – yeah – it would work!

Now where did I put my complete Babylon 5 collection?  Somehow I am in the mood to watch the series again.

DBloke

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Well the idea is to have a renewable power source. In Crusade they went back to there ships to recharge. so a few little solar panel's would help.

Return to “Other projects”