Photography Projects

151 posts   Page 1 of 7   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
by chrisa62401 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:54 pm
Anyone working on one? I was interested in making a trigger. It would have a sound, light and laser activated mode. Anyone have any ideas on this?
by Sylvain » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:10 pm
Hi,

I'm not really  "working on one" but I have several ideas around that (advanced trigger for one and / or muliple camera/flash, intervalometer, command for automatized pano heads ...). I think that once the GPIO had been mastered (probably with a kind of add-on board) and you've define a good "framework" possibillities are nearly infinite ...

Sylvain.
by AndyD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:18 am
Hi,

I am currently working on a DSLR controller using an Arduino with a USB Host shield. I am a reasonable way into the project, but I am interested in making something similar using a Raspberry Pi. Functionality will include Intervalometer, Long Exposure/Bulb, HDR Capture and Focus Stacking. Hoping that I can use gphoto (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/).
by SeanD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:12 am
AndyD said:

Hi,

I am currently working on a DSLR controller using an Arduino with a USB Host shield. I am a reasonable way into the project, but I am interested in making something similar using a Raspberry Pi. Functionality will include Intervalometer, Long Exposure/Bulb, HDR Capture and Focus Stacking. Hoping that I can use gphoto (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/).

Looks like the libgphoto2 library should be pretty straight forward to get compiled on ARM.  They appear to support quite a long list of cameras and given the camera provide an easy way of implementing all of the functions above.
by JustinPM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:25 am
Gphoto2 is absolutely the way to go.  I've connected my D90 to an ARMv5 system and it's camera heaven.  Now I just need to figure out how to code Android stuff to make an interface to use it from.  Command-line isn't the most portable way to deal with this.  This is friggin' awesome.  Tonight with this system, I'm going to setup a time elapse so I can do a time elapse sunrise.
by AndyD » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
I had assumed there wouldn't be any trouble getting Gphoto2 compiled on the Raspberry Pi. I suspect that the interface will be the more interesting/challenging part of the project. On the Arduino I am using a 16x2 character LCD, but find this limiting. I want to keep the camera controller small and portable. Using an Android device would be a reasonable solution, except I don't have an Android phone or tablet. Buying an Android device would make the project considerable more expensive. Once the Raspberry Pi's are out in the wild people will be hooking up all sorts of displays and I will find an inexpensive solution.
by davidmam » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:51 am
I'm keen on this too. Maybe the way to go is to wrap gphoto2 with a web interface and then operate it over the network? That will give something getting close to being equivalent to the new D4 wireless interface..

Untethered tethered shooting - what is not to like? Add a small portable HDD and you can do all sorts of things.
by mexicodirk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:08 am
hello

i dond have any idea for programming! I see this little PC and its coming many ideas!

with a little Monitor small keyboard and some arduino you can manipulate the Kam and dolly, panohead what ever! i like this idea and i will locking her what happens with the project, and i like to build something like this!

DIRK
by davidmam » Tue May 22, 2012 10:00 am
You shouldn't need the arduino as the Pi has all the hardware connections you need through the GPIO header to run servos. Using something like motion you should be able to get it to follow subjects as well automatically.
by davidmam » Tue May 29, 2012 10:23 pm
I've been playing with Gphoto2 on the Pi with my D80. There appears to be a bug in gphoto2 where it will not release after writing to the camera via USB. This means that everything works upto and including the first write command, but subsequent commands don't.

If you run the shell then you can do multiple commands. It has been reported recently as a bug on canons under ARM and I can confirm it also happens for Nikon. Seems to be a PTP error.
by mallyhubz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:43 am
Hey guys,

If someone can give me a kick in the right direction on how I might go about getting gPhoto2 compiled on my Pi, that would be really helpful :)

Mal
by WPsites » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 am
davidmam wrote:You shouldn't need the arduino as the Pi has all the hardware connections you need through the GPIO header to run servos. Using something like motion you should be able to get it to follow subjects as well automatically.

You shouldn't need the Arduino but personally I prefer to have an Arduino nano interfacing with my servos rather than my Pi. I can get a replacement nano for around £13. I can't get a replacement Pi without getting ripped off on the secondary market. Maybe when I'm a little experienced on the hardware side of things and a new Pi is readily available and the GPIO is better documented I will use the Pi's GPIO header.

I have a high end compact camera with no digital interface for remote shutter release so I've purchased 2 servos and a pan+tilt mount to move the camera around, another smaller servo to build a shutter release and I also have an IR thermometer sensor and webcam. I'm going to try set my camera up to automatically take pictures when something is in view.

Initially with the Swallows in my eaves that I just can't seem to catch on my camera manually because they only fly back in the nest when I'm away form the windows! I want some quality snaps of them in flight, close up.
by davidmam » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:41 pm
mallyhubz wrote:Hey guys,

If someone can give me a kick in the right direction on how I might go about getting gPhoto2 compiled on my Pi, that would be really helpful :)

Mal

First update your apt-get cache then you should be able to do something like 'apt-cache search gphoto' which will list the availabel packages, then apt-get install <package> to install it.

Sorry but I don't have specific instructions on hand.
by mallyhubz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:37 pm
yeah its cool, got it installed, but suffer the same problem, cant send a second command to the camera. I think its a bug in the kernel, and the fix is here.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=123074111001861&w=2

Im not capable enough to implement it and recompile the kernel and such on the Pi, maybe someone can make a way of doing it :)
by davidmam » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:58 pm
Those patches went into the 2.6 kernel and appear to be in the 3.2 source so I don't think it is that. I haven't done an exhaustive check though.
by khurtwilliams » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:31 pm
I have an older DSLR - a Nikon D40 - that does not do bracketed shooting. I'm a big fan of HDR photography but manually bracketing each shot is a challenge. I'm hoping to write a python script for my RPi to do bracketed shooting. The script would read the image sensor via USB cable to the Nikon D40, calculated the brackets (3 o4 5) and trigger the D40 to capture the images to the camera's SD card.

I'm not sure it's doable. I found lot so information on gPhoto and hope that I can get something working.
by HerrWalther » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:58 pm
Hello everyone,

does someone have problems with Gphoto2 and his camera ?

I use a Nikon D50 Camera and I've the problem, that gphoto2 just send (or my camera take) every second command.

I've no idea, what the problem is. (But I've have to say, it is the first time I use gphoto)

I work with the latest version of raspbian and the libgphoto2 and gphoto2 2.4.14.

If someone can help me, this would be nice.

Thanks a lot and nice greeting from Germany.
by climberhunt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:35 pm
I'm making good progress with my project. Raspberry Pi embedded in a battery grip on a Canon 5D Mark II. I've got the power sorted, DC-DC converter with a 7.2V Canon battery.
Lots of info here: http://davidhunt.ie/?p=2641
Problems with gphoto2 though, as described in previous posts. I haven't had time yet to investigate.
Rgds,
Dave.
by HerrWalther » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:27 pm
@climberhunt
Hey Dave, great idea to put the raspberry pi into the battery grip.

It would be usefull to know, which kind of OS version you use with the raspberry and of course which kind of version of the gphoto.

Best Regards
Percy
by climberhunt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:19 pm
HerrWalther,
I'm using Raspbian wheezy for my OS.
I just upgraded gphoto2 to 2.5.0, built from source, both libgphoto and gphoto2 binary. Upgraded libusb to 1.0.9, as it was a dependency for configure.
Still the same issue.
Previously, I was using 2.4.14.
First "gphoto2 -L" works, but nothing works after that until I disconnect the USB cable and reconnect.

Code: Select all
root@raspberrypi:~/gphoto# gphoto2 -L

*** Error ***
PTP I/O error

*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Unspecified error'): No error description available
*** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***

Rgds,
Dave.
by HerrWalther » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:05 pm
Hey Folks,

maybe I've a quick and dirty solution, for the problem.

I've read in some forums, that the problem is in the kernel and you have to reset the USB connection.

There is a possibility to reset the connection via commandline.

I followed this instruction

http://askubuntu.com/questions/645/how-do-you-reset-a-usb-device-from-the-command-line

If I find enough time in next days, I work out a batch (bash) file that take the commands for gphoto2 and after sending the command, it will be reset the connection.

Hochachtungsvoll
HerrWalther
by climberhunt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:42 pm
Thanks HerrWalther. Device needs a reset all right.
I used the resetusb code that you linked to .

Here's a very quick and very dirty bash script that gets the usb id of the camera runs gphoto passing all the parameters that were given to the script, and resets the port.

#!/bin/bash
#
dev=`gphoto2 --auto-detect | grep usb | cut -b 36-42 | sed 's/,/\//'`
if [ -z ${dev} ]
then
   echo "Error: Camera not found"
   exit
fi
resetusb /dev/bus/usb/${dev}
gphoto2 $@
resetusb /dev/bus/usb/${dev}

Now to go look for a kernel patch that resolves the problem... :)
by HerrWalther » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:49 pm
hey climberhunt,

thats pretty cool. :D

Thanks a lot !!!
by davidmam » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:59 am
So all we need is a hack in gphoto2 that will send a resetusb command after each interaction. Did it not do that? Or is it a feature of the USB implementation on the Pi.

The other question is what side effects this will have. I use a USB wireless. Oh well, one more thing to try out tonight.
by khurtwilliams » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:36 pm
I'm not having any issues sending secondary commands to my Nikon D40.

Here's a script I'm using to take 5 brackets photos with the D40.

#!/bin/bash
# Configure camera for gphoto2 access and later capture:

#set capture mode
#I'm not sure this step is necessary but ...
echo "(2) Switch to capture mode by taking an image and throwing it away"
gphoto2 --auto-detect
gphoto2 --set-config-value /main/capturesettings/exposurecompensation=0 \
   --capture-image-and-download \
   --filename junk.jpg \
   --force-overwrite

rm -f junk.jpg

echo "(3) Configure camera settings"
# Assumes camera is in Aperture Priority mode but will also work in manual mode
# Sets ISO to 200
# see config.txt for options
# Takes 5 photos : EV 0,-2,-4,2,4