Ceejay0

Mobile Surveillance - Is this attainable and how?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:52 am

I'm creating a Science Fair mobile security prototype which involves having the ability to remotely control my RPi 3 B+ with my android device while streaming live video from a NoIR camera. Being relatively inexperienced with Linux, I originally sought Wi-Fi access to be easier. However, I've extended my requirements to include a long-distance method of accessing my raspberry pi via 4G LTE (For example, accessing my RPi located at home while I'm somewhere else farther away).

What's the general process of doing this? Would I have to use a 4G LTE USB modem connected to my RPi while my mobile device is on cellular? Are there any major hurdles I would have to overcome concerning this plan? Is this even possible?

Andyroo

Re: Mobile Surveillance - Is this attainable and how?

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:43 pm

You would not need to put the Pi onto 4G as long as it is connected to the internet but from home the upload speed becomes the limiting factor.

A package such as motion will stream to the internet as a webcam and may do all you need. Many many examples for setting this up are google-able but to get you started try https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-webcam-server/
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Ceejay0

Re: Mobile Surveillance - Is this attainable and how?

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Apologies for the late response Andyroo.

I've followed through with the advice provided through the website you've linked to me and I've successfully set up all of what I needed to do in that regard.

Thank you for the generous reply.

Return to “Other projects”