johnwaters

Raspberry Pi as a Touch screen Kiosk

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:25 pm

dell-pi.jpg
Raspberry Pi touchscreen Kiosk
dell-pi.jpg (59.44 KiB) Viewed 14793 times
I've setup a dedicated Raspberry Pi in a sturdy box with a large touch screen attached in a school foyer to display the school website. This idea could be useful for other schools, or in other contexts, where a stand alone wifi enabled touch screen is required.

As long as the website is not too demanding the Raspberry Pi copes reasonably, and the screen is bright, clear and responsive.

I used the most recent debian image (2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian) and configured it using raspi-config with a GPU memory of 128MB. I didn't overclock it because it may get a bit warm in a sealed box. Ensure you enable ssh so that you can login to the Pi remotely. Also, enable start desktop on boot.

Wifi
First of all, I selected a wifi dongle from those on the verified list http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters. Mine is a Ralink 802.11n device. I edited the config file /etc/network/interfaces directly to set this up in a simple way.
I commented out the lines:

Code: Select all

#allow-hotplug wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet manual
#wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
#iface default inet dhcp
And added the lines:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  wpa-ssid YOUR-SSID
  wpa-psk YOUR-PASSWORD
This got the Pi online using wifi.

Touchscreen
The touchscreen I used is a Dell ST2220T 22inch screen. Many thanks to Fabien Picarougne who compiled a debian 3.2.27+ driver for this screen (available here: https://github.com/fpicarougne/raspberr ... multitouch). Use his to replace the standard one here: /lib/modules/3.2.27+/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-multitouch.ko. This does not use the multitouch capabilities of the screen. It just gets touch inputs to respond like a mouse, which was good enough for my needs. I've also found that this touchscreen provides enough power from one of it's spare USB ports to actually power the Raspberry Pi, so you don't need a separate power supply for the pi. This means that switching off the screen also kills the pi, which seems to work fine.

Autostart Midori browser
To configure midori to start in full screen mode when the X session starts a startup script is required. The script is called using the configuration option "autostart". Just go to shell session in the pi home directory and then cd to .config directory. Here you must create a directory called autostart if it does not already exist. Add a file to the autostart directory called midori.desktop and put the following in it:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Midori
Exec=/home/pi/mid.sh
The exec above calls the script mid.sh, which you must create in the pi home directory and make executable. Put one line in it:

midori -e Fullscreen
I've found it more reliable to set the default page to the URL you want to view, rather than add the -a URL option in the mid.sh startup script. If you call midori directly rather than through a script, it will not pick up any proxy setting you may have to setup in the browser options.

That's it. All you have to do is set the midori browser default page to the URL you want displayed, together with any proxy setting that may be required by your network, and you should have a touchscreen kiosk dedicated to your website.

juanRIOT

Re: Raspberry Pi as a Touch screen Kiosk

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:14 am

How can I attach a Python powered coin acceptor module via GPIO into this design? Purpose is to be a public internet access kiosk where students can research and print out their assignments.

johnwaters

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Interesting addition, but unfortunately I have no experience of coin validators, so can not help - sorry.

Rushy

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Great post definately worth considering :D

luckyearl

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:35 am

Brilliant, I wud like to give it a try. Just wondered if I cud use the built in usb ports on ST2220T for attaching keyboard and mouse( ST2220T acting as powered hub for raspberry Pi)

or do i need separate powered hub

thanks

byrdmanlk

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:52 pm

This is exactly What I am trying to do with a Dell Studio one. Any idea how I can make the touch work for this screen? http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-s ... 37210.html
Thanks

jwilgus

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Hello, I am looking to create a medical setting intake / registration kiosk. The screen needs to be larger than the 7 or 10 inch screens I see many posting about, since this Kiosk will also be using screen frames within the browser to manage the keyboard for on screen keyboard. I have Kiosk software that will run on Android to control all kiosk activity and remote management. My question is more about the choice to use a normal monitor in the 15 to 20 inch size (16:9 aspect ratio) with a USB driven touch screen overlay vs. purchasing a newer multitouch monitor. I know Dell sells them, but also there is a model from Acer FT200HQL that looks promising. I am very new to Rasperry Pi, but am very excited about this. If anyone has any suggestions or comments that could help me drive the decision, I would much appreciate it. Cheers!

Return to “Other projects”