UKDev

Raspberry Pi Display Screen with Touchscreen Control Panel

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Guys!

I need to spec a system that will work for a display screen to go in an office. We have done these before but this one works slightly differently in that our client needs to change certain values for the data visualisation to update.

The basics of the project are as follows:
Raspberry PI connected to TV via HDMI. When Raspberry PI boots it opens up a browser in 'kiosk' mode which displays a local HTML file with animation.

The issue:
The client needs to change a number of figures which control the data shown on the animation. Our initial thinking was to use a USB stick with a number of text files. We can then code this to read the data from the text files. My main concern with this is 1) the USB being removed. I could hook up a button to a script to eject the USB, however, I do not trust the end-user to do this 2) the path to the USB changing and therefore file not being found by the animation.

***The PI cannot be connected to the clients' network. This is meant to be a portable display stand***

The possible (??) solution:
Connect the TV via HDMI and a Touchscreen display to the board. Show a control panel page on the touchscreen and the animation on the TV.

The issue with possible (??) solution:
It appears that the Touchscreen and HDMI won't work together from my research. Most posts seem to be at least a year old so wondering if anyone has had any experience with both of these working together.
The second issue is that if both displays worked together, I'm not sure if we could define which browser opened on which screen.

Another possible solution:

2 x Raspberry PIs, one for TV and one for Touchscreen. Connected via a small switch/hub so the PI running the animation could retrieve the file over the private network.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions that might help with this setup at all?

Thanks in advance!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi Display Screen with Touchscreen Control Panel

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Might be worth reading this thread, where support for HDMI and LCD at the same time is discussed/introduced.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=216399
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

UKDev

Re: Raspberry Pi Display Screen with Touchscreen Control Panel

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:14 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:07 pm
Might be worth reading this thread, where support for HDMI and LCD at the same time is discussed/introduced.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=216399
Thank you Jamesh. I had missed this post during my search so I will take a look at this!

Return to “Other projects”