Leon Brown

Re: Raspberry App Store

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Would the Raspberry Pi team be interested in using a system I've developed to create an app store? It would be great to have an app store for people and schools to share their creations.

ghans

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Most supported Linux Distributions come with their own package managment system.

AFAIK those app stores became popular just after iOS 1.0 was jailbreaked and got a
unofficial package managment system .

Apple created its App Store after that incident.

I think setting up a new app store system is of marginal benefit , especially when you have to support several distros.

We still could consider a cooperation with foundation to standardize things.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

zag

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

I have a php based plugin repository also ready and waiting.

Just need to know how the programs will be packaged.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

ghans

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

@Leon Brown
I"m sorry for having misread your post.
I think you should directly contact the team with your propasal , because it sounds like a fantastic idea to have a special app store filled with creations of students and schools.

Traditional package management tends to be cumbersome from time to time.

My biggest fear that such a thing may need very restrictive standardization in terms like native/interpreted code and supported operating enviroment.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Ianw

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:12 am

Phew... was going to cry there until I read further lol... Want an app? theres a fee for that! would totally kill the Pi for me...

A decent Pi specific repository would be nice though

Manabu

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:31 am

There is also Zero Install, "The antidote to app-stores" : http://0install.net/

Zero Install is a decentralised cross-distribution software installation system. Other features include full support for shared libraries, sharing between users, and integration with native platform package managers. It supports both binary and source packages, and works on Linux, Mac OS X, Unix and Windows systems.

It solves many problems and limitations of the native package managers, especially for higher level apps. Applications packaged that way can be made to work in any distro, and this is important because we can't force all Raspberry pi users to use the same distro in order to download official packages.

And you don't need a centralized control like an app-store or distro repository. Of course, search engines and reference repositories are welcome on top of it.

Sugar project (originally for One Laptop per Child XO laptop) seems to be experimenting with zero-install as basis for their package system: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane......devel/4627

erhardm

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:39 am

Personally, I think RaspberryPi App Store is not the best idea. You already have your distro repository with packages. Why shouldn"t other devices which could run this code benefit from the packages build for RaspberryPi?

1) This is Linux, general rule: you don"t sell or buy software, you use OSS. You buy support and development of features, mostly which eventually end up being open sourced(see Red Hat)

2) RaspberryPi is a charity project, you shouldn"t even thing about selling something, you help, you don"t make profit.

I don"t see any valid point of having RaspberryPi App Store.

A website indexing all the useful packages for school and education would be enough.

mental2k

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:30 am

I do kinda like the idea of an app store, the package managers I've used are great, as long as you know exactly what package you're are looking for.  App stores offer a nicer browsing experience and allow you to be a bit more generic in your searches.  They both have their places, and whats the problem with having both.  Ubuntu has more than one package manager.

Also Droid is linux it has an app store.

erhardm

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:04 am

Yes, Ubuntu has an Software Center, which is nothing else than a easier way of installing packages, but only from Ubuntu's repository. Android is doing the same, with version checking of the droid. What was suggested was an App Store that combines all the RaspberryPi distros, which would take the same time to build for each distro, as you would separately build them in the default repositorys. That means that all the others who use the same distro for this architecture would not have them for default if you would separate them in an App Store.

Why not build the packages in the default repositorys of the distros and have an index of them separately? An index would not take so much time to build, but none of the communities would be at disadvantage. After all, those distros already give you their time building for your architecture, why should RaspberryPi not give "her" time too(yes, a sexy one:P)?

Return to “Other projects”