jakasmode

home automatization raspberry pi

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Hello
I'm new to the raspberry, and i decided to build a home automatization system(using relays) with raspberry pi3+. I'm wondering if it's possible to build android app in android studio that will work on raspberry?
best regards jaka

Andyroo

Re: home automatization raspberry pi

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:23 pm

Do not know about the android development (guess is you would develop on a PC in Visual Studio) but do not use relays for home control unless you are a qualified electrican - there are lots of safer ways available covered in these and home automation forums.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

jakasmode

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:16 pm

i've got an electrician for relays and other stuff. I'm just curious which program is the best for this kind of project.

Andyroo

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 pm

You can get a quick start with https://www.openhab.org :lol:

Have you read https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/70/ - PDF or printed available (and the print supports the foundation).

PhatFil

Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:30 am

openhab and domoticz are 2 mature and established home automation systems that i am aware of, Both have a growing community of supportive users too. For a slightly quicker start however i opted to start my journey in home automation control with Node Red as a central control system. (still a bit of learning involved tho..)

Instead of connecting input and outputs directly to my Pi Ive chosen to employ wireless coms to receive both sensor inputs and send control commands. the Pi sits as a headless controller, The Node Red Desktop providing a gui web interface.

Using 'smart' sockets with embedded esp8266/5 microcontrollers which are available in plenty of guises you can either write your own firmware and reprogram the devices through a number of routes, such as the arduino-ide, VC/platformio for example, Or as i did use a fully featured open source firmware project. Tasmota https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki

By the time you factor in the cost of wiring,boxing, and the time it takes to connect things, not forgetting the prime directive of fault finding (Its the bl**dy cable/wiring at fault), wireless is a sensible route enabling a rapid deployment of devices..

For very basic inputs such as PIR, window/door reed switch alarms, and switches, there are many cheap (less than £5) input devices that transmit on the 433mhz frequency, a £8-10 esp8266 based device 'sonoff rf-bridge' can be used to 'bridge' many (not all) 433mhz signals to your wifi network ;)

the diy chique of exposed pcbs and sensors can be a hard sell when trying to install anywhere other than around your workbench area too ;)

For more sophisticated inputs check out hacks for the many bluetooth ble sensors. for example im using the bluetooth temperature and humidity sensors from the chinese Xiaomi brand that will run off a single aaa cell for circa 12-18months

And if you really feel the need to get the soldering iron out you can always add sensors to your smart sockets, if using tasmota there is built in capacity for most sensor inputs you can think of, and if you have one not catered for i sure the developer would be interested in knowing what it is. ..

jakasmode

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you very much

Andyroo

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:07 pm

The other things to think about:

1) What happens when the Pi or PC dies - are your backups up to date? How long does it take to put a new system in and can you still find batteries for the remote (assuming you can find the remote) in the meantime...

2) If power fails does everything come back on let alone safely? I had a WiFi bridge that needed resetting if the router came on after it as it refused to bridge if it could not connect to WiFi! The router took 3-4 mins to get a broadband connection and fire up, the bridge was up in 30 seconds...

3) If a fail occurs can you still get warm?

4) If a fail occurs is the house safe - do you have a battery fire alarm, do you door locks work, will your burglar alarm still work?

Automation is great till part fails :lol:

jakasmode

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:07 pm
The other things to think about:

1) What happens when the Pi or PC dies - are your backups up to date? How long does it take to put a new system in and can you still find batteries for the remote (assuming you can find the remote) in the meantime...

2) If power fails does everything come back on let alone safely? I had a WiFi bridge that needed resetting if the router came on after it as it refused to bridge if it could not connect to WiFi! The router took 3-4 mins to get a broadband connection and fire up, the bridge was up in 30 seconds...

3) If a fail occurs can you still get warm?

4) If a fail occurs is the house safe - do you have a battery fire alarm, do you door locks work, will your burglar alarm still work?

Automation is great till part fails :lol:
i will keep this in my mind, small battery pack will be fine.

jakasmode

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:33 pm

This app openHAB how does it work? Can you add your own program(relays) on it? Or is specificaly made for other brands: Philips hue, alexa,etc..

PhatFil

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:33 am

jakasmode wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:33 pm
This app openHAB how does it work? Can you add your own program(relays) on it? Or is specificaly made for other brands: Philips hue, alexa,etc..
have a browse https://www.openhab.org/ click on the community tab/ header menu item for a dedicated list/group

lbdroidman

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:31 pm

jakasmode wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:51 pm
Hello
I'm new to the raspberry, and i decided to build a home automatization system(using relays) with raspberry pi3+. I'm wondering if it's possible to build android app in android studio that will work on raspberry?
best regards jaka
Android application will only run on the pi, if the pi is running Android. Alternatively, you can of course run an Android application on your PHONE that interfaces with the "home automation server", which could be running on the pi, or even better, on your home router (you HAVE upgraded it to running OpenWRT, right?). While pi can be considered to be very weak hardware, even as such, it is overkill for being involved in home automation. You need lower power equipment for automation. Stuff you can deploy in volume for cheap.

Return to “Other projects”