Jomn

Re: Add 2nd ethernet card?

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:31 pm

I wonder if it's possible to add an extra ethernet card to the Pi? I was thinking about a USB network card, but does it require a driver?

I wonder because I want to use it with Smoothwall

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Jomn said:

I wonder if it's possible to add an extra ethernet card to the Pi? I was thinking about a USB network card, but does it require a driver?

Only real option is to add a USB ethernet adapter, or perhaps a Wireless adapter. However, all traffic ends up going through one USB2 link, so won't be that fast.

Check the forums - lots of stuff about this in there.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

retro

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Could two Raspberry Pi's be linked to provide the gateway / firewall solution, perhaps with associated processes distributed across the two - Smoothwall on one, maybe DansGuardian content filtering on the other?

error404

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 pm

You could add a second USB NIC as James suggests, but this is really not going to satisfy performance-wise I think. Latency and throughput will both be pretty bad, and it'll be CPU intensive. This ARM CPU is not really designed to be a firewall. There are boards designed for this (e.g. RouterStation PRO [MIPS] or PC Engines ALIX [x86]) that, while they cost more, would be a lot more appropriate.

Another option would be to use a managed switch and 802.1Q VLAN tagging to use the single NIC to access several broadcast domains like most consumer-grade routers do internally. I'd still just put that money towards a proper router board though, it's a better solution.

Also most firewall distributions are built only for x86/x86_64, so you'd have to port it yourself.

Being basically just a transparent proxy, you could run DG on a separate box and have your firewall do the necessary redirection.

Nick Scott

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Jomn said:

I would expect the drivers to be included with the distribution, hopefully not long after launch it will become clear what chipsets are better supported.  However to use it with smoothwall, someone will have to release an arm port of it, you're best bet for using it as a firewall could be to install one on a Debian system (there are a few good tutorials floating round about that).

Nick

Benedict White

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 pm

Jomn said:

I suspect so. I don't know if Smoothwall will cope with USB Ethernet devices though.

Although everything will be going through what is effectively one USB 2 port, it will of course be fast enough for current practical broadband, even taking account of the processor.

The issue you will have is porting the firewall, unless someone else has already done it.

People run firewalls on machines with a lot less CPU power and ram, so at least it could do the job.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:56 am

Every network controller needs a driver, however most drivers are included with the linux kernel and mainstream distros tend to build most of them (that is why /lib/modules is so big).

Personally i've been using http://cpc.farnell.com/unbrand.....dp/CS16979 (with beagleboards rather than Pis but the principle holds) and i've had no problems with them (which is more than can be said for the onboard eithernet on the beagleboard XM). I haven't done any benchmarking though.

They use an asix chip (I don't remember which one off the top of my head and I don't have any running right now to find out) for ethernet and the drivers were included in the kernels I was using.

na1pir

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:29 pm

Problem is not in cpu power itself, but in bandwidth. Because all I/O in R-pi is through 1 usb (theoretical maximum of 480.0 mbps). I guess that 1 Ethernet 10/100 takes about 1/4 of all available bandwidth. But if you have slow internet connection that shouldn't be problem. If additional lag isn't concern for you. Dedicated router would suit your needs better.

Here is similar but cheaper device:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/u.....able-51436

RaTTuS

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:50 pm

I've got a miniitx machine with a USB / ethernet dongle runing ipcop at home no problem - so as long as you dont have gig intenet you are fine.... ;-p

I may use a Rpi as a replacement - we'll see ...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 pm

na1pir said:

Here is similar but cheaper device:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/u.....able-51436

Mmm, given how similar it looks (only diffrences seem to be the color and LED/power placement) I'd bet it's the same hardware inside.

Jomn

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks a lot guys, this was really helpful I guess I'll go with another solution because it's a 40/40Mb connection with a server (W 08 R2 which I use for torrent seeding) connected, so I need full speed.

But I will by an R Pi anyway, so maybe I'll try it sometime

Return to “Other projects”