DieEasySteve

Re: Beta Boards mechanical data

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer that works for a electronics company, I have experiences designing Injection Moulded enclosures to house PCBs.

Can you provide a .step (3D model) of the PCB, Altium designer can export this format. We could then take it into a 3D CAD package and design a case. I would like to have a go a designing something that has some standard mounting locations.

Steve

Borg 1.0

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:01 am

Steve said:

Hi Guys,

I"m a Mechanical Design Engineer that works for a electronics company, I have experiences designing Injection Moulded enclosures to house PCBs.

Can you provide a .step (3D model) of the PCB, Altium designer can export this format. We could then take it into a 3D CAD package and design a case. I would like to have a go a designing something that has some standard mounting locations.

Steve, have you had a chance to look at Eric Baird"s wonderful Lego case design?

It would be terrific if you were able to get involved with that project…I"m thinking it might make sense to do the design as a "pseudo-Lego" case, so that it looks like a Lego case, but is a bit more robust.

Please note, this is just my take on the design, as there are more than a few Legoholics wanting to do the work in real Lego! But the mounting of the board seems to be a problem, and it sounds like you might be able to "Terminate" the problem (spoken in an Austrian accent, naturally!)

Even if you have some design ideas ready to go, that thread would be a great place to get stuck in!

I hope you don"t mind the "nudge"….:)

Cheers,

Pete

DieEasySteve

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 am

Steve, have you had a chance to look at Eric Baird"s wonderful Lego case design?

It would be terrific if you were able to get involved with that project…I"m thinking it might make sense to do the design as a "pseudo-Lego" case, so that it looks like a Lego case, but is a bit more robust.

Please note, this is just my take on the design, as there are more than a few Legoholics wanting to do the work in real Lego! But the mounting of the board seems to be a problem, and it sounds like you might be able to "Terminate" the problem (spoken in an Austrian accent, naturally!) 

Even if you have some design ideas ready to go, that thread would be a great place to get stuck in!

I hope you don"t mind the "nudge"….:)

Cheers,

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I'll have a look at that thread. I seen it but didn't take much notice as i was concerned with the size this would end up being.

arm2

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:52 pm

AIUI the one significant difference in produstion boards to Gert's dimension is going to be the SD card holder. Presumably the Foundation knows the make and part number of the holder being used in the production batch is there any chance this could be made public, please?

I have a number of cases designs that I can't progress further without that information and I suspect many other people will find it very useful.

mobeyduck

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:04 pm

They currently got there hands full with the first batch finishing next week

/me puts on his party hat

I think you will sooner have the complete official dimensions then a part number for the sd card holder. If I'm one of the first to get a board ill take measurements of all the parts if no one beats me to it, or dimensions havent changed.

E

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks Gert

I've been trying to export the Sketchup files as collada and then import them into Blender for rendering, but they get really screwed up. Anyone else had this? No luck opening the Sketchup files in ViaCAD either.

arm2

Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:31 pm

mobeyduck said:

They currently got there hands full with the first batch finishing next week

/me puts on his party hat

I think you will sooner have the complete official dimensions then a part number for the sd card holder. If I'm one of the first to get a board ill take measurements of all the parts if no one beats me to it, or dimensions havent changed.

I had hoped that someone not on the critical path for launch might know, Gert says not

Re measurements I've always found data sheets normally easy to find and more reliable than my measuring!

arm2

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:47 pm

How high are the DSI & CSI connectors?

I know they are not normally going to be fitted, but would like to check the clearance on our RTC board in case any Beta users want to use one.

swesen

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 pm

So there is going to be no mounting holes in the PCB?

arm2

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Correct only been mentioned about 100 times!

There will be no mounting holes in the PCB?

They have said they hope to add them in a latter revision but if you look carefully that would require 'magic' as there is no spare space at all!

mrlinux2u

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:28 pm

Does the Foundation (or someone linked to them) now have access to the mechanical data for the production boards so people can start making cases for their new RPI's with the correct measurements for cut outs etc?

aurash

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Anyone has decent drawings with the GPIO connector against the PCB outline. We are making a few prototypes for add on cards (peripheral PCB) and we would need drawings. I don't have a RBPI B board yet, so if anyone can help will be highly appreciated

Aurash

Sergi 10

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:14 am

Some lucky you have received your RPI can put some pictures? and place the actual measurements? please need to check my box design.
For I have not been lucky in getting mine, I have to wait two months ........
http://www.lanzanos.com/proyectos/rpi-box/eng/

Lolo34140

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Does anyone have a correct drawing of the board (with correct dimensions) in format .stp, .stl or dwg. A format compatible to solidworks?

I try to design a case for the Raspberry but I just need a correct board to finalize my work.

Thanks
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

mintra

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 pm

I have cracked it, I will design my case in rubber and make it fit the smaller of the many board dimensions available, then it will stretch to fit the actual size of the board.

I printed an stl model from Me and the RaspberryPi /1 on a 3d printer at fablab.

So I thought I could use that as basis for a case design.

So if I measure this with a ruler the circuit board is 85x56mm

The pretty sketchup model  http://scc.jezmckean.com/item/581 is 81.9x53.98

Wikipedia says 85.60×53.98

The picture on the web site says 85.60mm x 53.98mm x 17mm, with a little overlap for the SD, but this may or may not be the circuit board size as it may mean the size from the end of the USB to the end of the circuit board.

The wiki says no figures for production boards but look at

This does not actually have the dimensions of the PCB.

My best guess is 85.60×53.98 a per http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/344

intel are better at this sort of thing, the atx mitx itx form factors are well declared with

details of where expansion boards should go etc.

HansH

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Lolo34140 said:

Does anyone have a correct drawing of the board (with correct dimensions) in format .stp, .stl or dwg. A format compatible to solidworks?

I try to design a case for the Raspberry but I just need a correct board to finalize my work.

Thanks

Look at thingiverse for my design, if you change the options it will only print the pcb board and you can export it to a .stl file.

HansH

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 pm

mintra said:

This does not actually have the dimensions of the PCB.

My best guess is 85.60×53.98 a per http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/344

intel are better at this sort of thing, the atx mitx itx form factors are well declared with

details of where expansion boards should go etc.

It is 85 x 56mm, Gert measurements are accurate.

The only change with the production model is that the sd card holder is different.

and that has a 3.4 - 3.5 mm height

arm2

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 pm

HansH said:

The only change with the production model is that the sd card holder is different.

and that has a 3.4 - 3.5 mm height

Can you cite your source for that dimension?

I've searched the forums ans can't find a source!

HansH

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 pm

arm2 said:

Its pure logic

Look at the pcb board layout, there is only room for a halfslot holder

and look at the pcb holes/markings and just search the available electronic parts for that and then you find something like this:

http://www.harwin.com/include/.....860942.PDF

a half length sd slot connecter, measurements seems the same as the markings

The sdcard will stick outside the pcb for approx 18mm

perfect fit

arm2

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:20 pm

HansH said:

arm2 said:

Its pure logic

Look at the pcb board layout, there is only room for a halfslot holder

and look at the pcb holes/markings and just search the available electronic parts for that and then you find something like this:

http://www.harwin.com/include/.....860942.PDF

a half length sd slot connecter, measurements seems the same as the markings

The sdcard will stick outside the pcb for approx 18mm

perfect fit

I suspect you are correct, but before spending thousands of pounds on our first batch of cases, I need to know for certain!

C4B7

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Gert,

Is there any chance that you could at least post an .igs or .dxf of the board layout?

It would be much more accurate than caliper measurements.

Thanks for all the work you've done too!

Gert van Loo

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 pm

C4B7 said:

Gert,

Is there any chance that you could at least post an .igs or .dxf of the board layout?

It would be much more accurate than caliper measurements.

Thanks for all the work you've done too!

I regular get requests for PCB data also in PMs. I do not have that data in any form whatsoever. They guy who has that data is working almost 20 hours a day on the CE certification so I do not plan to ask him until that is resolved.

C4B7

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm sorry to pester. I did not realize that the CE certification was being done by the same person.

I'll sit back in my seat and cheer for you brave souls.

killor

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 am

A lucky to have their RPI has told me that the PCB is 57.1 mm x 85.7 mm

Does anyone else have more measuresupgradeable?

Thank's
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

HansH

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:26 pm

ModmyPi also measured his RPI and he says its pcb is  85.0 x 56.17

which sounds a lot lot more confirming Gert's measurements.

Return to “Other projects”