graysonmillar

Limit Chromium Tabs in Raspbian Lite w/ Openbox?

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:16 am

Hi Guys,

(mods please redirect this category if I'm posting in the wrong section, long time reader but first to post)

I've got a decent number of Raspberry Pi 3 Model B & B+ boxes set up in my call center office for basic web browsing. They run Raspbian Lite Stretch with only Chromium installed (and Openbox to actually allow this to run). The idea was to provide budget friendly computers for the one task my team needs a computer for, which is using the internet for things such as Gmail and basic web browsing.

Anyways, I keep running into the problem of running out of Ram on these things, and thus hear complaints of sluggish usage after a couple hours of use. What I'm noticing is it's always due to a hefty amount of tabs open, most of them running pretty javascript heavy websites, not including Gmail/Gsuite.. No hardware mods have been added other than your basic cooling heat sink set with thermal paste, etc. CPU usage doesn't seem to be terribly high, and heat hasn't been an issue as well.

Long story short, I'm looking for a way to limit the Tabs they have open in Chromium, as this seems to be the best suited browser for these modern uses.. Ideally they would only be able to have 2 open at a time Max. I couldn't find much useful info with some google searching so I was hoping someone here has an idea.

P.s. I'm not opposed to a browser for this platform that can handle your basic day-to-day websites, such as Google, google maps, gmail, etc, if that's what it's gonna take. I've experimented with the other go-to options but have still ran into this issue.

Again, these computers are only running Openbox over Raspbian lite, no login manager, nothing else besides chromium installed. Thanks again for any direction pointing folks may have :)

fruitoftheloom

Re: Limit Chromium Tabs in Raspbian Lite w/ Openbox?

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:52 pm

graysonmillar wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:16 am
Hi Guys,

(mods please redirect this category if I'm posting in the wrong section, long time reader but first to post)

I've got a decent number of Raspberry Pi 3 Model B & B+ boxes set up in my call center office for basic web browsing. They run Raspbian Lite Stretch with only Chromium installed (and Openbox to actually allow this to run). The idea was to provide budget friendly computers for the one task my team needs a computer for, which is using the internet for things such as Gmail and basic web browsing.

Anyways, I keep running into the problem of running out of Ram on these things, and thus hear complaints of sluggish usage after a couple hours of use. What I'm noticing is it's always due to a hefty amount of tabs open, most of them running pretty javascript heavy websites, not including Gmail/Gsuite.. No hardware mods have been added other than your basic cooling heat sink set with thermal paste, etc. CPU usage doesn't seem to be terribly high, and heat hasn't been an issue as well.

Long story short, I'm looking for a way to limit the Tabs they have open in Chromium, as this seems to be the best suited browser for these modern uses.. Ideally they would only be able to have 2 open at a time Max. I couldn't find much useful info with some google searching so I was hoping someone here has an idea.

P.s. I'm not opposed to a browser for this platform that can handle your basic day-to-day websites, such as Google, google maps, gmail, etc, if that's what it's gonna take. I've experimented with the other go-to options but have still ran into this issue.

Again, these computers are only running Openbox over Raspbian lite, no login manager, nothing else besides chromium installed. Thanks again for any direction pointing folks may have :)

Have you checked whether or not there is a browser extension to accomplish your goals ?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/
Adieu

DirkS

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:40 pm

This took me exactly 13 seconds ;)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bleb?hl=en
Never used it and don't know if it works...

graysonmillar

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:27 am

I saw there is extensions that do this, but what im looking for is a more hard coded solution. Extensions = more cpu/ram most of the time. The goal here is to minimalize it as much as possible...

graysonmillar

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:29 pm

Update: still looking for a more embedded solution but day 1 and all 6 computers did fine with a limit of 3 tabs using that chrome extension!. No crashes. I still feel like there are other tweaks that could be done thohgh.

Return to “Other projects”