bobfunduro

Using (multiple) Pi as a main stream computer

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi All.

Following my recent successes "Getting Started" The Bottom Line. Thanks PI ! Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:52 pm

I'm thinking of using a Pi as a main stream computer and I'm bumping into comments that the Pi is insufficient.

Since buying a dedicated Linux machine is not an option, would it be relatively easy to piggy back say 4 Rpi's to spread the cpu load and aid the insufficient RAM issue that appears on the forums?

Any ideas/leads?

Regards

B.Goode

Re: Using (multiple) Pi as a main stream computer

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm thinking of using a Pi as a main stream computer and I'm bumping into comments that the Pi is insufficient.

Since buying a dedicated Linux machine is not an option, would it be relatively easy to piggy back say 4 Rpi's to spread the cpu load and aid the insufficient RAM issue that appears on the forums?

Any ideas/leads?

First idea. Ignore the comments. (To the extent that only you can decide whether an RPi is sufficient for your needs or not.)

Second: " would it be relatively easy to piggy back say 4 Rpi's to spread the cpu load and aid the insufficient RAM issue "

A2: No. It is relatively easy to network a number of RPi systems together, and the Raspberry Pi Foundation have documented how to do it. It won't result in a single 'better' computer as you hope, and it does nothing about the "insufficient RAM issue". But have you actually encountered this issue? Is it a real problem for you?

Bottom line is: if you are seeking a general-purpose computer system with more processing power and RAM than the current top-of-the-range RPi3B+ then the Raspberry Pi Foundation does not presently have a product that meets your needs.

topguy

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:31 pm

bobfunduro wrote:
I'm thinking of using a Pi as a main stream computer.
Stream what/where/how ?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:21 pm

bobfunduro wrote:
Hi All.

Following my recent successes "Getting Started" The Bottom Line. Thanks PI ! Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Any ideas/leads?

Regards

Only if the software you intend to run is compiled to work in a Computer Cluster / Distributed Computer / Parallel Computing scenario.

4 RPis does not make a 16 Core CPU or can run software compiled for x86 architecture...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raspb ... clustering
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

The Traveler

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Since buying a dedicated Linux machine is not an option,
A inexpensive, common and easy route to take is to buy a Chromebook and put Linux on it. Works quite well and you can either dual boot Chrome and Linux, or just install Linux. https://www.lifewire.com/install-linux- ... ok-4125253

The RPi has sufficient power to do a number of things but for myself, I still prefer a more "conventional" solution for long term use.

Cheers.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

Return to “Other projects”