Xalloumi

"Airbag" Case

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:14 am

Hello all,

I recently saw the airbag case that a German student made ( https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/27/this- ... u-drop-it/ ), and I am curious if this is possible to make using a raspberry pi (preferably zero). If it is, have you ever seen something similar before? Can you help me to develop such a project?

Thank you! :roll:

Imperf3kt

Re: "Airbag" Case

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:24 pm

A Pi isn't fragile enough (nor portable) to warrant this sort of thing, but if you truly want a similar thing, I suggest looking into flexible metals.
I remember all sorts of toys 15-20 years ago using similar technology, but don't know what it is called.
User experiencing technical difficulties.

hippy

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:06 pm

You can run rubber tubing or foam pipe lagging around the edge of a Pi PCB or even mount it inside a rubberised phone case. Simplest solution is probably to sandwich it between two lumps of polystyrene with elastic bands.

I am not sure of the need to protect a Pi board. If it had an LCD fitted it would probably be too deep for the compact phone solution and would need rather large prongs to shoot out to protect everything. And the loss from a dropped Pi, if it didn't survive, would be a lot less than breaking a $700 phone, probably less than what it would cost to protect it with some fancy gizmo.

Xalloumi

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:55 pm

Do you guys know how to make a mechanism on the PI in order to trigger springs?

Return to “Other projects”