NOLA26

Need Help--Corn Hole Score Board

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:33 pm

I just finished building 4 corn hole boards and I'm looking to add a score board to each set. I am thinking about two different types of score boards. One would be a rectangle board with 21 LEDs down each side corresponding to printed numbers 1-21. I want two push buttons (one for each side). First press would activate the LED on #1. Each additional press would turn off the current LED and turn on the next. So every press would light the next number.

My next type of board is a digital 7 segment score board. Each side would need two 7 segment numbers. Again each button press would count up from 00 to 21.

I am new to the Raspberry Pi and the programming. I have the Raspberry Pi already. I don't know what else I would need or a good source for getting the parts needed. I would think the programming would be pretty simple since it is just counting by manual button press but like I said, I am new to all of this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to start or some example code I can look at to get a feel for what I would need to do? Also I do not know what extra components I need to make any of this work.

Any help is appreciated.

B.Goode

Re: Need Help--Corn Hole Score Board

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:24 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have a guide to using and coding with components such as buttons and switches -

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -computing

NOLA26

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks for the link. I have the breadboard, GPIO pins and some other stuff. Is there sample code for 7 segment led numbers and counting?

Z80 Refugee

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 pm

I admire your wish to dive in at the deep end, but really I think you need to start with something simpler. Begin with one switch and one LED (and appropriate resistors to make them work), and program the Pi to light the LED when you press the switch.

Beginners Guide to Wiring Things to the GPIO
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

NOLA26

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm

I have been using this pi for controlling a string of pixel LEDs. I am just not good at codeing. I understand how the breadboard and all of that stuff works. I have also used an Arduino with a display to make an RFID key tag identifier for work. I want to start playing around with the 7 segment numbers but I want to get a basic code that advances the count by one with every press. I can probably figure out things from there....hopefully.

B.Goode

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:39 am

I want to get a basic code that advances the count by one with every press.
The gpiozero Python library module installed by default in recent versions of the Raspbian Operating System has built-in support for buttons and switches, and simple 'Recipes' demonstrating their use.

See https://gpiozero.readthedocs.io/en/stable/recipes.html and scroll down to the section 2.12. Push button stop motion

This illustrates using a counter that is incremented when the button is pressed. (You don't have to use a camera... )

Z80 Refugee

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:13 am

NOLA26 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:06 pm
I am just not good at codeing.
Then you might like Forth, which is a hardware man's programming language.

Installing and Using Forth on the RPi
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

Return to “Other projects”