luca.cimini

Installing an Adafruit's PDM MEMS Microphone on a Raspberry Pi 3 in order to study the behaviour of bees in a hive

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:42 am

Hello everyone,

In my studies, I have to carry out a project which aim is to listen into a hive and study the behaviour of bees.
In order to do it, I have to use a Raspberry Pi 3 and an Adafruit's PDM MEMS Microphone.

Let me explain you the priciple of the project:

Scientists demonstrated that the behaviour of bees are related to the flappig of their wings. In fact, the flapping of the wings generates some frequencies which are contained in some frequency ranges, and each range corresponds to a specific behaviour.

That's why I have to record the sound into the hive thanks to the microphone. The sound which I will record will be analysed on a spectrum analyser. Thanks to it, I will be able to see which frequencies are generated by the bees thanks to the amplitudes.
And in order to record the sound, I want to use arecord.

For the moment, I only have one problem: when I connect the microphone on the Raspberry Pi, the Raspberry Pi doesn't detect it. It is energized (3.3V) but the Raspberry Pi doesn't detect it...

Could anyone tell me why?

If it still doens't want to work, I had the idea to use a USB microphone since lots of people on forums say it will work...

piglet

Re: Installing an Adafruit's PDM MEMS Microphone on a Raspberry Pi 3 in order to study the behaviour of bees in a hive

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:15 am

You didn't say which you've got. I2S needs some work to get going.

See: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-i2s ... g-and-test

If it's a different board, then you may need to use other instructions!

Sara94alzate

Re: Installing an Adafruit's PDM MEMS Microphone on a Raspberry Pi 3 in order to study the behaviour of bees in a hive

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello luca.cimini,

I would like to know if you made any progress in your project, because I'm doing something similar but for a different application, and I'm struggling with the connection of the same microphone and same Raspberry. So, I wanna know if you could fix it and if you be able to help me going thru this.

Thank you

Return to “Other projects”