moanjo

mounting small breakout boards

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:24 am

I have a number of projects that use a Raspi Zero and small breakout boards, GPS radios, lightning detectors and such. The standard Pi cases don't provide a way to mount small breakout boards and the boards themselves are rarely stackable like a HAT. I am wondering whether anyone has figured out a way to put stuff like this in a small enclosure or mount breakout boards (the adafruit ultimate GPS breakout board is a good example) in a sturdy way with a Pi zero? Most of the solutions I have seen involve two-sided tape, which I don't much like.

Thanks - moanjo

scotty101

Re: mounting small breakout boards

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 am

I tend to drill holes in enclosures and mount boards with M3 nylon screws.

You can buy sets like this and also cheaper versions from ebay.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

IanS

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 am

In a similar way, I generally use standoffs fastened into a backing board, then mount all the Pis, Arduinos, sensors, controllers, etc onto the standoffs. Using standoffs prevents any pressure on the bottom of the boards. Although this is not a problem when the underside is just solder joints (unless you use a conducting backing board), it can be an issue for underside components side as the Pi SD card holder.
The only problem is the cost of the standoffs. Nylon ones are not too bad, but metal ones are a silly price.
Some boards will take M3 fastenings, but M2.5 or even M2 may be necessary for smaller ones.

moanjo

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:41 am

Thanks for the replies. That gives me some ideas to play with. Cheers, bill

Return to “Other projects”