ctasich

Help building an RPi to use as a data logger at a remote location

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 pm

I have a field site in rural Bangladesh with a weather station and GPS with a Trimble NetR9 that maintains the data. The power source is a 12V battery charged by solar cells. I'm hoping to deploy an RPi alongside the existing installation to 1) monitor voltage of the 12V battery, 2) interface with the Trimble data storage, and 3) connect to the internet via a 3G/4G module. I would also need a battery backup for the Pi in case the 12V battery fails. I'm unsure of the following so any help would be great!

1. Voltage Sensor: I think I can use this?
  2. 3G/4G module: This is where I'm completely lost. There seem to be many different types out there. The network that I will be using in Bangladesh is Grameenphone. I haven't been able to find much in the way of band frequencies, but one of the Grameenphone modems lists the supported bands as "EDGE/GPRS/GSM 1900MHz/1800MHz/900MHz/850MHz". Is there a module that I can get for the Pi to guarantee a reliable connection?
  3. Battery Backup: I'm also lost here. I've seen a couple UPS options out there, but I'm not sure if it's possible to have a UPS that can run the Pi for hours, power down gracefully, and reboot the Pi upon restored power. Maybe I'm asking for way too much here.
  4. Powering the Pi using the 12V battery: I think I'll need a DC/DC converter here? I'm assuming this should be easy given this conversion has to happen for USB adapters in cars.

Is what I'm proposing here too ambitious? I'm a seasoned Linux user, but definitely a noob when it comes to RPis so any help would be useful!

Return to “Other projects”