DarkPatate

Making an HUD

Sat May 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Hello!
I have the project to make a HUD (head up display) for my (old) car. I would like to use Android auto to that puprpose. My main use is for the GPS.

Do you know a good HUD device I could use with RPi (3) ? I know there are two types:
  • With a projector on a transparent screen;
  • With a transparent screen.
But I didn't succeed to find devices for RPi.
Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Dark Patate.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Making an HUD

Sat May 19, 2018 5:17 pm

DarkPatate wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:23 pm
Hello!
I have the project to make a HUD (head up display) for my (old) car. I would like to use Android auto to that puprpose. My main use is for the GPS.

Do you know a good HUD device I could use with RPi (3) ? I know there are two types:
  • With a projector on a transparent screen;
  • With a transparent screen.
But I didn't succeed to find devices for RPi.
Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Dark Patate.

Regards using a Raspberry Pi 3 & Touch Screen as Head Unit for Android Auto running on your SmartPhone see:

https://github.com/f1xpl/openauto/blob/ ... /Readme.md

Though as you have an Android SmartPhone can not see why you need a Raspberry Pi for a GPS HUD ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-6-5Inch- ... 2949832948
Adieu

DougieLawson

Sat May 19, 2018 6:34 pm

You've failed at the first hurdle. There's no viable version of Android on your RPi (and it's not supported on this forum any way).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

DarkPatate

Sat May 19, 2018 7:54 pm

@fruitoftheloom
The problem of the HUD system with smartphone is the requirement of a mirror mode. Indeed, the screen had to be inverted in order to be in the right way. And Google map didn't had that mode.

And I would like a more stable solution, that doesn't require to move my phone each time. And also, I would do it with RPi just to do DIY, it's more funny :)

@DougieLawson
I found that on YT : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NghS9YCwH9g
Anyway, my question on this forum is not for the OS, but for the device.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 19, 2018 8:01 pm

DarkPatate wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:54 pm
@fruitoftheloom
The problem of the HUD system with smartphone is the requirement of a mirror mode. Indeed, the screen had to be inverted in order to be in the right way. And Google map didn't had that mode.

And I would like a more stable solution, that doesn't require to move my phone each time. And also, I would do it with RPi just to do DIY, it's more funny :)

@DougieLawson
I found that on YT : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NghS9YCwH9g
Anyway, my question on this forum is not for the OS, but for the device.

As I pointed out above the RPi can be an Android Auto Head Unit, the issue you have is finding a cost effective Pico/Mini Projector with HDMi Input....
Adieu

DarkPatate

Sun May 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Ok, that could be a solution too. I also have to find a transparent screen to fix on my windshield.
I didn't thought about pico projector.

Thanks.

morticiaskeeper

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:27 pm

A bit late to this, but I built a pi zero HUD a couple of years ago and use it every day.

Python code reads the output of a GPS dongle and displays it on a two digit 7 segment LED display. The display used a library of functions to convert the numbers to binary words for the display. I rewrote the library to give a mirror image. The GPS output gives a verification bit to tell you whether the data is reliable. If the data is deemed NOT reliable, - - is shown. Better to have no speed than the wrong speed. Refresh rate is about one second.

As I have to change vehicles frequently, the unit, in a 3d printed case, just sticks to the dashboard, reflecting on the inside of the windscreen. Using a HUD screen, available from eBay, will improve the display.

Return to “Other projects”