joshadow

Re: Possible bluetooth connectivity

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:14 am

The idea of using an R-PI as a small media center has of-course frequently been mentioned, but I was wondering if it would be possible to get a bluetooth adapter working with it, perhaps via the USB port, and allow us to connect a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Cheers,

-Johannes

von kain

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:19 am

thats my future use of r-pi to so i guess why not? (if firmware support it) .

error404

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:35 am

Bluetooth dongles will definitely work. One thing they did very right was specify the hardware interface as well, so all Bluetooth dongles use the same hardware interface, and thus the same driver. I'm not sure that the team will be building the Bluetooth stuff into the kernel they ship, but worst case you can build your own.

The dongles can be had for a couple bucks from DealExtreme or eBay, and for the price, I have one in all of my computers. It's just convenient.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:47 am

error404 said:

Bluetooth dongles will definitely work. One thing they did very right was specify the hardware interface as well, so all Bluetooth dongles use the same hardware interface, and thus the same driver. I'm not sure that the team will be building the Bluetooth stuff into the kernel they ship, but worst case you can build your own.

The dongles can be had for a couple bucks from DealExtreme or eBay, and for the price, I have one in all of my computers. It's just convenient.

I have tried a Bluetooth dongle - worked fine. I think I needed to rebuild the kernel but I expect it to be built in on release.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

tonycollinet

Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 pm

That sounds good news - I want to get the Lego NXT brick talking on bluetooth with the PI.

SergeantFTC

Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:37 pm

tonycollinet said:

That sounds good news – I want to get the Lego NXT brick talking on bluetooth with the PI.

I would also love to connect an NXT to the Pi, but I believe that requires special drivers from LEGO that are not available on ARM or Linux in general.  :(

HansH

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:30 pm

I am planning to write a small bluetooth server on the RasPi so I can use my android phone to connect to it and control it without having a keyboard and mouse..

error404

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:53 pm

SergeantFTC said:

I would also love to connect an NXT to the Pi, but I believe that requires special drivers from LEGO that are not available on ARM or Linux in general.  :(
NXT uses the Bluetooth serial port protocol, which should be easy to connect to the Pi with a Bluetooth dongle. As far as I can tell they also have decent documentation on how to use this protocol. You probably won't be able to use the Lego-provided software with it, but that might not be a big deal depending on what you're trying to do.

Return to “Other projects”