paulglave

Re: DMX controller for LED architectural lighting

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:03 pm

So. I've got a Chamsys USB to DMX dongle which does have linux software available (Debian flavoured for your pleasure). I'm not a total noob with linux but don't really know the ins and outs of how software differs between intel (ba ba ba bong) and ARM processors and wondered if there's anything I need to know before I dive in.. I'm happy to discuss my ideas on this if anybody else is thinking of doing something similar.

If I have to learn stuff to do it, that's great. I like learning new things.

Cheers.

error404

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:15 am

In this particular case, it looks like they are using the FTDI USB->serial chip to communicate with their board, which is supported in the main kernel tree, and as it's a pretty popular chip, the module stands a good chance of shipping with the Pi.

However, their MagicQ software seems to be binary only, so won't work on ARM unless they compile it to ARM for you. It may also need too much memory or some such, but you'd pretty much have to evaluate that by testing.

Tomo2k

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:52 pm

MagicQ source code will not be available, as that is their key intellectual property that their entire business is built on.

However, Chamsys are very nice guys, and it's definitely worth asking them if they would consider an Armv6 port for the Raspberry Pi.

I suspect the RPi will struggle though, as most lighting control is CPU-bound (RAM is less of an issue, just drop the channel count to fit).

paulglave

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:57 pm

Cheers for the help guys. I'll drop Chamsys a line and see what they say. Of course, I could go the DIY route, buy a £60 kit from Maplin and learn how to program it myself (what the RasPI is actually meant for)

owltim

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:09 pm

It's almost certain that a recompile of MagicQ for ARM will be available, and there's been quite a bit of interest in the device on a theatrical forum I'm on (mostly stirred by me ).  I can't wait to see what the RaspPi can do, and may well get building a breakout shield to output RS-485 from UART or the like so the device can act as its own DMX output using Art-Net or something.

Bear in mind that if you're doing architectural lighting with MagicQ you'll need the £60 dongle to avoid the 6 hour limit on the £10 one.

Tim

keving

Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Several years ago I wrote a (fairly crude) web interface which ran on a Lampp box to talk to a Milford Instruments 512 Channel Serial to DMX transmitter.

It has been used for home lighting control for 4 years with no real issues.  I investigated moving control to an Arduino, but events overtook me.

DMX control is one of the back burner uses that interests me with Raspi, however I've moved home and don't have DMX dimmers wired in anymore, so it's likely to stay that way.

The code would need tidying before getting published, but if there is interest I could take another look.

Kevin

paulglave

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Got the £10 to tinker with and try out on different platforms. I'd be looking at a couple of the £60 units along with a couple of raspberries if I can get it working. I'm currently running the internal led kit of a pearl expert so I'd be freeing up some pretty expensive kit....

SeanD

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:05 pm

paulglave said:

Got the £10 to tinker with and try out on different platforms. I'd be looking at a couple of the £60 units along with a couple of raspberries if I can get it working. I'm currently running the internal led kit of a pearl expert so I'd be freeing up some pretty expensive kit....

must be some pretty impressive LEDs if you are running them off an Avo !!!  I just had one of those warm nostalgic moments thinking about the adventures I had with a Rolacue 60 back in the late 80's.  It survived sunkist, being dropped out the back of a van going up a hill and still managed to do amazing things with the first non vari*lite moving heads to enter the UK. None of that DMX, all done with 0-10V.

paulglave

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:32 am

SeanD said:

must be some pretty impressive LEDs if you are running them off an Avo !!!  I just had one of those warm nostalgic moments thinking about the adventures I had with a Rolacue 60 back in the late 80's.  It survived sunkist, being dropped out the back of a van going up a hill and still managed to do amazing things with the first non vari*lite moving heads to enter the UK. None of that DMX, all done with 0-10V.

It's a long story involving the promise of MIDI implementation and a Pearl 2008... It's a load of Anolis kit running bar lighting in a music venue/club, separate to the venue lighting rig. There's more of it on the outside of the venue running off an Artistic License lightswitch. I'm thinking of going with the Raspberry for that so I can access and reprogram the lighting programs via the network as opposed to the hassle of reprogramming the lightswitch, which is locked away at the other end of the building from my office. I could even reprogram the lights on my way to work, our buses have WIFI now.

Nick Scott

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 am

Even if Chamsys do not make an arm port of Magic Q, is there any reason you can't run it on another PC, and create a Artnet - DMX bridge with the Raspberry Pi (there is a linux software for that around).

Nick

Tomo2k

Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:20 am

Don't use ArtNet, it is a truly evil protocol that simply does not scale.
It is slowly following 0-10V into the history books (and legacy compatibility).

- Also, no sane network admin will allow ArtNet on their network. It doesn't play nice with other users.

ANSI E1.31 Streaming ACN is much better. MagicQ already supports it.

- There are several installations using E1.31 with over 140 DMX universes running simultaneously with many hundreds of receiving devices.
ArtNet dies at ~8 universes, and ArtNet II can stretch to about 40 receiving devices per controller (not universes, devices).

Impulse405

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Tomo2k, I do lighting design and you are wrong on Artnet. You can achieve up to 256  universes down a single cat5e cable with ArtNet II. Last year ArtNet III was released. With this new version RDM was added. This allows for BIcommunication. DMX is single way communication. RDM allows the console and lighting instruments to communicate. this allows for fixture settings and diog without leaving the booth. Also the instrument profiles to be stored on the unit itself. so setup would console sending out command 'what is there', the instruments reply with what they are, channel map, and address if assigned. Artnet is used a lot in the industry today. It allows better connection, speed, ease of setup. With ArtNet there is less cables and less cost in setup.

You in theory could do this, there is a project that did something similar with the enttec dongle

http://www.enttec.com/index.ph.....opendmxusb

The project used a router with a arm processor and a modified linux kernel.

http://www.nomis52.net/?sectio.....;page=node

with this, you also have pass through on the network port if you use wifi

As for the network issue, YES, it uses full bandwith and needs special network equipment and routing.

tech_monkey

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:59 pm

YOu may want to look at DMX 4 Linux. I have also been looking at using the pi to control LED lighting. I have an RS232 or TTL 3 channel LED control board, and would like to use it with a PI. But may do down the DMX route.
http://www.casatech.eu

raspberryLampy

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:16 am

One of the first things I wanted to try is what Raspberry Pi was like at controlling lighting -- here's a quick proof of concept demo that Raspberry Pi can control lighting with DMX.

nomis52

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 am

What hardware are you using?

Reink

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:08 am

I'm thinking to make a variation of the Gertboard and replace the microcontroller on the Gertboard with a RS485 linedriver connected to the UART fo the DMX interface.

For this hardware there is a need for a new driver to hook it into the DMX4Linux framework. So it should come available in various linux lighting applications.

nomis52

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Reink said:

For this hardware there is a need for a new driver to hook it into the DMX4Linux framework. So it should come available in various linux lighting applications.

BTW DMX4Linux is pretty much dead. There hasn't been any activity since 2009. The Open Lighting Architecture is the replacement.

tech_monkey

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:00 pm

As a certain advert in the UK says, "there is another way".

There are what is called Pixel lights or dream sequence strips or pixel strips or variations on this wording. They are a group of LEDs connected via a shift register. Some have 3 RGB LEDs per pixel or one RGB LED per Pixel.

What you are able to do is address each individual pixel and change its colour.

It usually has 4 inputs +V (either 5v or 12v depending on type), clk, data and gnd.

Have a look here for a video or three.

I have also seen an Arduino based project controlling these strips, but can't seem to find it at the moment.
http://www.casatech.eu

KGDJ

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:06 am

Hi all. New to the forums, and to Pi. Just ordered three of them. My story: I'm a mechanical tech and lighting designer/sparky for a local production company. My goal with the Pi is to turn it into a relay/stage position for my Chamsys MagicQ software. It (barely) meets system requirements for MagicQ, and I have one of the USB-DMX output dongles as well. The idea would be to have it connect to an ad-hoc wireless from the FOH position, mirror the FOH console/relay the DMX, and provide minor media support as well (std definition video streaming, for example).

Anyways, just glad to see people are already using it for lighting control, and I'm definitely interested in any ArtNET progress that goes on with it!

henny

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Sorry to break the bad news but chamsys has said they wont port MagicQ to ARM.

aaroncornish

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

raspberryLampy wrote:One of the first things I wanted to try is what Raspberry Pi was like at controlling lighting -- here's a quick proof of concept demo that Raspberry Pi can control lighting with DMX.
Hey Raspberry Lampy!

This looks great.

I am looking to use our office RasPi to control an LED light bar. It will be linked with our monitoring systems, so when a service is degraded, it will light the wall behind our monitoring screens orange, and if a service goes down, the wall will go red.

Does it matter which USB to DMX controller we use? What software did you use to control the lamp?

I am not sure how we will interface with the monitoring system yet, we will be writing it all in house so we can be fairly flexible really.

Thanks Aaron

missdeenola

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:40 am

Has anyone tried to compile Q Light Controller to RPi yet?
http://qlc.sourceforge.net/

clyde74

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi i'm also interested in the compilation of QLC or QLC+. it could make a very powerful light controller with a DMX adapter.

Return to “Other projects”