brian191

Re: LVDS Boards for laptop Screen

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Like many others I would love to be able to put a Pi in an old laptop case and hook it up to the in built LCD. The two issues being 1. macthing the LVDS on the Pi & laptop 2. driving the back light inverter on ebay njytouch sell LVDS controller boards designed to allow you to use an old laptop LCD as a monitor some have DVI inputs and include the inverter circuit.

Would one of these solve the problems of putting a Pi in an old laptop?

Brian ...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:31 pm

brian191 said:

Like many others I would love to be able to put a Pi in an old laptop case and hook it up to the in built LCD. The two issues being 1. macthing the LVDS on the Pi & laptop 2. driving the back light inverter on ebay njytouch sell LVDS controller boards designed to allow you to use an old laptop LCD as a monitor some have DVI inputs and include the inverter circuit.

Would one of these solve the problems of putting a Pi in an old laptop?

Brian ...

Nobody really yet knows as no-one has tried to attached LCD's to the Raspi yet. The GPU supports LCD's, and the plan is to leverage that for the Raspi, but as I said, not yet done.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mightygoose

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:07 am

interestingly i have a spare netbook LCD a CLAA101NB01 I think it has a controller on board on the back.

[linkie]

from my travels as a local laptop & PC repair guy. Is this applicable or is it pre x86 intergrated?

R2Digital

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:35 am

From what I have read LVDS is not a 'proper' standard, in that it isn't very standard!! Meaning know one really knows how this setup will work until its been tried? Hopefully also meaning it might be possible

Like mightygoose I work in laptop\pc repair and a long time lurker in these forums. I have a large number of blown monitors and broken laptops that a hoard in my shed\manlab. After disecting a number of specimens and closely inspecting their inards I have discovered that the are mainly suffering from blown components in the power circuits. There does not 'appear' to be any damage to the LCD or the controller board!

What I would really like to do is re-use these LCDs and attach a Raspi. This led me to a bit of dead-end trying to find a standard controller board and inverter board that will a) work b) fit within a reasonable price range. Not being able to find anything obvious, it got me thinking would it be possible to re-use the controller boards from the monitors as well?

I have downloaded the datasheets for the controllers but rapidly realised how out of my depth I was. From what I have read, the controllers themselves support a very wide array of LCD sizes and types of signal but beyond that I can't find much on how or even if this will work with a Raspi.

What I thought would be a great eco-friendly, practical, educational project would be to scavenge controller boards from broken monitors and de-solder the controller from the board and re-solder it to a new 'Raspi Shield' board. There could be a board for each of the most common controllers (surely there can't be that many!!) hopefully allowing you to connect virtually any LCD screen from a laptop, monitor, netbook etc..

The inverter board would hopefully be a bit more straight forward but again it would be brilliant to be able scavenge components from broken monitors.

I am hoping the vast knowledge contained within this forum will be able to give me a few pointers on how to experiement any of the above or at least blow the idea out of the water so it stops bugging me!

AMAZING WORK - CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY RASPBERRY PI.....

FruitPi

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:46 am

Just purchased a LCD logic converter from Ebay and a 5 wire touch sensitive screen to go with.

This allows you to connect virtually any old laptop monitor/screen to your RPi via DVI or VGA.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271030306557? ... 906wt_1140

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271016141526? ... 161wt_1140

simply select the board TYPE that you require from the following list:

A. With VGA port only: R.RM3251/R.RM3451
B. With VGA and DVI port: R.RM5251/R.RM5451
C. With VGA and DVI port and also support audio input: R.RM5251(audio)/R.RM5451(audio)
D. With VGA port and support TV function: R.RT6251
For panels with resolution more than 1440*900 but not more than 1920*1200, you'd better refer to:R.RM3451/R.RM5451/R.RM5451(audio)

Once you have selected the type of board that you require (dependant on the on board features) simply order/buy it, THEN e-mail/message the manufactures part number on the screen that you are using to the seller "NJYTOUCH" and they will pre-program the logic converter board to work with your monitor/screen.

for example,

I purchased the (R.RM5451) and messaged the seller (LTN154X2-L02)

I also purchased a touch screen panel, so in affect I am now the owner of a RaspberryPi Pad :)

enjoy and I hope this helps anybody in need..

(RSG)

andyhorn

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:54 pm

[quoteJust purchased a LCD logic converter from Ebay and a 5 wire touch sensitive screen to go with.

This allows you to connect virtually any old laptop monitor/screen to your RPi via DVI or VGA.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271030306557? ... 906wt_1140

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271016141526? ... 161wt_1140

simply select the board TYPE that you require from the following list:

A. With VGA port only: R.RM3251/R.RM3451
B. With VGA and DVI port: R.RM5251/R.RM5451
C. With VGA and DVI port and also support audio input: R.RM5251(audio)/R.RM5451(audio)
D. With VGA port and support TV function: R.RT6251
For panels with resolution more than 1440*900 but not more than 1920*1200, you'd better refer to:R.RM3451/R.RM5451/R.RM5451(audio)

Once you have selected the type of board that you require (dependant on the on board features) simply order/buy it, THEN e-mail/message the manufactures part number on the screen that you are using to the seller "NJYTOUCH" and they will pre-program the logic converter board to work with your monitor/screen.

for example,

I purchased the (R.RM5451) and messaged the seller (LTN154X2-L02)

I also purchased a touch screen panel, so in affect I am now the owner of a RaspberryPi Pad

enjoy and I hope this helps anybody in need..

(RSG)
[/quote]

I am thinking along the same lines, although the supplier has not got the support for my screen, 17" iMac G5 screen which is TMDS not LVDS.

However I did find this tutorial for making a DVI connector for the TMDS cable.

http://www.dremeljunkie.com/2011/08/gui ... 7010842049

It is beyond my abilities to undertake such a project, I think it should be possible for someone with electronics experience to hack an TMDS to HDMI cable.

I would really like to do this which would be another step closer to my PiMac project, anyone willing to assist?

Andy
[

FruitPi

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi Andy (plus anybody else in the same boat)

If you would like help with manual work, i.e. soldering, component installation or implementing home brew solutions I would be more happy to help.

If you can send me a link and as much info as possible about what you are trying to achieve, I would be more than happy to take a look and see if it is possible with the tools and equipment that I have at my disposal.

I'm no expert.. but I have few years experience with a soldering iron and electronic components :)

andyhorn

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on that.

The main problem I have is the G5 TDMS cable has a different package to mount it to the Logic board, it has all it's wires soldered to a connector, the G4 mod in the link I posted earlier use's a small connector for each wire, sounds like it is a very tricky job soldering the tiny wires to a DVI connector or preferably an HDMI connector.

Check your PM's

Cheers Andy
[

conundrum

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Possible workaround:- Use a very thin PCB with the correct track pitch.
The connector is usually about 1mm inside and should happily accept a small board, as long as you don't force it.
If too thick carefully sand down until it fits.

This idea was contributed by Phil P.

Hope this helps, -A

andyhorn

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:32 am

conundrum wrote:Possible workaround:- Use a very thin PCB with the correct track pitch.
The connector is usually about 1mm inside and should happily accept a small board, as long as you don't force it.
If too thick carefully sand down until it fits.

This idea was contributed by Phil P.

Hope this helps, -A
I really don't understand what you mean, could explain this in more detail please.

Andy
[

Iain Henshaw

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi FruitPi just wondered if you got anywhere with the touch screen?

Thanks.

Iain

FruitPi

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 am

Iain Henshaw wrote:Hi FruitPi just wondered if you got anywhere with the touch screen?

Thanks.

Iain

Hi Iain,

Apologies about the massive delay in responding to this thread - I now have a fully functional 15.4" Resistive 5 wire touch screen working on Debian/Wheezy. If anybody would like any info/tips or a break down of how this was achieved (software used etc) let me know. The touch screen is an eGalax product. I found that instead of getting a re-complied kernel containing the drivers for the eGalax panel - simply download the Xserver calibration tool - it does not do a 25 point calibration (only 4 point) but if you spend a few minutes calibrating - its very accurate. Just need to locate an onscreen key board to use now.

- Rich

javellan

Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:00 am

FruitPi wrote:
Iain Henshaw wrote:Hi FruitPi just wondered if you got anywhere with the touch screen?

Thanks.

Iain

Hi Iain,

Apologies about the massive delay in responding to this thread - I now have a fully functional 15.4" Resistive 5 wire touch screen working on Debian/Wheezy. If anybody would like any info/tips or a break down of how this was achieved (software used etc) let me know. The touch screen is an eGalax product. I found that instead of getting a re-complied kernel containing the drivers for the eGalax panel - simply download the Xserver calibration tool - it does not do a 25 point calibration (only 4 point) but if you spend a few minutes calibrating - its very accurate. Just need to locate an onscreen key board to use now.

- Rich
Rich,
I am extremely interested in your setup. I'm looking at the same eGalax touch screen from njytouch to use on my Pi 2. You only needed to use the evtest pkg like in http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=99000? How happy are you with the responsiveness? Find a favorite onscreen keyboard you liked?

-Joaquin

Vdogg

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:31 pm

Hello people !

Sorry for my bad english , i'm belgian ;- )

Even if it's an old topic i'll ask a question about what you said R2Digital.

Have you now understand how the controllers works?

Because the idea of buying a controller who cost +- 40€ is for me a too expensive (and too easy) solution to reuse an old lcd screen.
Everyone can buy another screen (not a laptop screen, a full one) who is second handed cheaper.

I'd like to understand how controllers works too because i think we can use that lcd screens without controller. But directly on the rasp wich was beforehand configurated, or i am wrong?

klricks

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Vdogg wrote:Hello people !

Sorry for my bad english , i'm belgian ;- )

Even if it's an old topic i'll ask a question about what you said R2Digital.

Have you now understand how the controllers works?

Because the idea of buying a controller who cost +- 40€ is for me a too expensive (and too easy) solution to reuse an old lcd screen.
Everyone can buy another screen (not a laptop screen, a full one) who is second handed cheaper.

I'd like to understand how controllers works too because i think we can use that lcd screens without controller. But directly on the rasp wich was beforehand configurated, or i am wrong?
R2Digital has not made any more than his original 1 post since 2011......
To understand how controllers work you need to find a datasheet for the chipset...

This would not be a feasible project. Not sure if it would even be possible, may need more GPIO than the RPi has? But even if it is possible:
- Without the controller chipset it still would take considerable interfacing circuitry which would likely cost much more than the off the shelf boards.
- Software to control the screen would be extensive. Probably requiring a recompiled kernel.
- Rendering the screen output would take considerable CPU resources which may leave little power to do anything else. You would be duplicating what is already being done on the RPi HDMI circuits and software.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Vdogg

Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:41 am

Good answer, indeed, thank you :)

Return to “Other projects”