foxxyman

RPi3 Mobile

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:39 am

So, I am hatching a plan. This plan is, as the title implies, to make a RPi3 mobile phone. Not just any mobile phone though, a powerful one, one that I can make, myself.

I need to find a touch screen that works with the Pi3, and LineageOS (a mobileOS. It would also be very nice if the screen works with eeloOS (a mobileOS being developed), (I would rather have eelo, but it is being developed). Any suggestions? From what I have read so far, it sounds like I might have to do some coding, or some modification of code. I haven’t done really any coding, (though I am learning Python), so I will need some guidance/help on the coding.

I would also like the device to have FM radio capability. I am wondering on the best way to go about this. I know there are FM radio modules out there, but I don’t know which one to get, and how to connect it and make it interact with the pi.

As I said before this plan is is still being developed. I know I’ll find some kinks, i’ll embrace them and learn how to better these things. I’d be pleased if you gave me your suggestions, questions, answers, and help.

Thank you in advance!
-foxxyman
-foxxyman
The pi solves life...

fruitoftheloom

Re: RPi3 Mobile

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:00 am

foxxyman wrote:
So, I am hatching a plan. This plan is, as the title implies, to make a RPi3 mobile phone. Not just any mobile phone though, a powerful one, one that I can make, myself.

I need to find a touch screen that works with the Pi3, and LineageOS (a mobileOS. It would also be very nice if the screen works with eeloOS (a mobileOS being developed), (I would rather have eelo, but it is being developed). Any suggestions? From what I have read so far, it sounds like I might have to do some coding, or some modification of code. I haven’t done really any coding, (though I am learning Python), so I will need some guidance/help on the coding.

I would also like the device to have FM radio capability. I am wondering on the best way to go about this. I know there are FM radio modules out there, but I don’t know which one to get, and how to connect it and make it interact with the pi.

As I said before this plan is is still being developed. I know I’ll find some kinks, i’ll embrace them and learn how to better these things. I’d be pleased if you gave me your suggestions, questions, answers, and help.

Thank you in advance!
-foxxyman

Out of date but good information:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/piphon ... martphone/
Adieu

Imperf3kt

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 am

While possible (though I wouldn't advocate it as worthwhile) I see an instant conflict between your desires, and reality.

You state you'd like a powerful smartphone. Not going to happen with a Pi, as the Pi uses old and outdated technology to begin with.

For example, the SoC on a Pi3b is uses the same technology as my mobile phone from 2015 does - and my phone was not cutting edge then either.

If you want a 'powerful' smartphone, by todays standards, a Pi will not cut it.

That said, I wish you luck in your endeavors to create a regular smartphone. I would be interested to view your progress.
Stephen Hawking, rest in peace.
8 January 1942 – 14 March 2018

foxxyman

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:00 am
foxxyman wrote:

Thank you in advance!
-foxxyman

Out of date but good information:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/piphon ... martphone/
read it, and an instructable about a phone like it (not made made by the same guy as in the blog post)
-foxxyman
The pi solves life...

foxxyman

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 am
While possible (though I wouldn't advocate it as worthwhile) I see an instant conflict between your desires, and reality.

You state you'd like a powerful smartphone. Not going to happen with a Pi, as the Pi uses old and outdated technology to begin with.

For example, the SoC on a Pi3b is uses the same technology as my mobile phone from 2015 does - and my phone was not cutting edge then either.

If you want a 'powerful' smartphone, by todays standards, a Pi will not cut it.

That said, I wish you luck in your endeavors to create a regular smartphone. I would be interested to view your progress.
ok thank you
-foxxyman
The pi solves life...

foxxyman

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm

What are your opinions on this guys?
-foxxyman
The pi solves life...

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 pm

foxxyman wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm
What are your opinions on this guys?

Look at the specifications of my Hauwei Phone in my Signature and see how far away the RPi is.......
Adieu

Imperf3kt

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Well, my honest opinion is; I wouldn't even bother.

But there's still merit in the idea. It may not be the best tech available, however you'll have the satisfaction that you made it. Sometimes that alone is reason enough to go through with things.
Stephen Hawking, rest in peace.
8 January 1942 – 14 March 2018

foxxyman

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 pm
Well, my honest opinion is; I wouldn't even bother.

But there's still merit in the idea. It may not be the best tech available, however you'll have the satisfaction that you made it. Sometimes that alone is reason enough to go through with things.
yeah I am only considering
-foxxyman
The pi solves life...

Return to “Other projects”