BaconCatBug

How to wake the Pi itself via Wake-on-Lan?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm

So, I would like to keep my Pi off when it's not needed to do all the shiny things I want to do with it. Is there any guide to setting it up so I can wake it remotely via WoL from my main PC? Atm I have it plugged into my router via Ethernet downstairs and remote into it from my main computer, and would rather not have to go down to manually turn it on every time, as well as wanting to set up a scheduled task to wake it up at certain times.

All I can find online is how to turn the Pi into a server to wake other PCs, not the other way around. If anyone has a guide I could follow I'd appreciate it greatly.

pcmanbob

Re: How to wake the Pi itself via Wake-on-Lan?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi.

The pi does no support Wake-on-Lan

Also the pi has no hibernation mode it is either on or off or if you prefer OS running or OS shutdown.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

fruitoftheloom

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 pm

BaconCatBug wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm
So, I would like to keep my Pi off when it's not needed to do all the shiny things I want to do with it. Is there any guide to setting it up so I can wake it remotely via WoL from my main PC? Atm I have it plugged into my router via Ethernet downstairs and remote into it from my main computer, and would rather not have to go down to manually turn it on every time, as well as wanting to set up a scheduled task to wake it up at certain times.

All I can find online is how to turn the Pi into a server to wake other PCs, not the other way around. If anyone has a guide I could follow I'd appreciate it greatly.

Raspberry Pi's with Ethernet Port are actually USB to Ethernet and the LAN9512/14 Chipset used, though capable to support WoL, does not have the necessary circuitry to enable this feature.

There are various workarounds to achieve powering on the RPi.....and advertised as WoL when they are not !

Maybe Power over Ethernet which requires additional hardware around £25.00 UK.......

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=154158&#p1008863
Adieu

rpdom

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:51 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 pm
Maybe Power over Ethernet which requires additional hardware around £25.00 UK.......
and is about the cost of running a Pi 24/7 for 4-5 years.

Just leave it running.

Return to “Other projects”