f1x

[OpenAuto] AndroidAuto(tm) headunit emulator optimized for Raspberry PI 3 Hardware

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Hello,
I am new user of this board so for the very first I would like to say hello to all :). For the second I would like to announce my newest project called OpenAuto.

What is OpenAuto?
OpenAuto is an open source AndroidAuto(tm) headunit emulator application based on aasdk library and Qt libraries. Main goal is to run AndroidAuto(tm) on the RaspberryPI 3 board computer smoothly.

Demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9tKRqIkQs8

Status
Project is currently under beta testing.

Links and open source code
https://github.com/f1xpl/openauto

Features
  • 480p, 720p and 1080p with 30 or 60 FPS
  • RaspberryPI 3 hardware acceleration support to decode video stream (video stream up to 1080p@60)
  • Audio playback from all audio channels (Media, System and Speech)
  • Audio input for voice commands
  • Touchscreen and buttons input
  • Bluetooth
  • Automatic launch after device hotplug
  • User-friendly settings
Supported platforms
  • Linux
  • RaspberryPI 3
  • Windows
Before you start using OpenAuto please read Readme and wiki page.

halfer

Re: [OpenAuto] AndroidAuto(tm) headunit emulator optimized for Raspberry PI 3 Hardware

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:47 am

I was searching for methods to implement Android Auto in old cars, and stumbled upon your recently published project. Seems very promising!
Lag caused by software H264 decoding is something that's seen even in pretty expensive retail sold Head Units, so being able to potentially do the same with an RPi3 + an amplifier and some dongles for connectivity sounds amazing.
However, I imagine potential "builders" will be scared off by the prospect of connecting the Pi to a screen and a touch sensitive panel of some sorts. The official LCD+digitizer is a bit too lowres and small to be used with this, I think.

I understand the main focus of Android Auto is voice control; and your project specifically has functions mapped to the keyboard, but I'd imagine most people would still like to be able to use a touch screen if needed

rapzak

Re: [OpenAuto] AndroidAuto(tm) headunit emulator optimized for Raspberry PI 3 Hardware

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:06 am

Hi,

I am also very happy for this matter..

I have a car with build in tomtom carminat and thinking of change it to this.

I have a joystick connected to the CAN bus and want to be able to map that to the unit, also maybe i need to tx some can messsages to redirect sound through the radio.
Have you thought about CAN support in Auto? (usb adapter?)

Also i like to implement rear camera? (usb adapter?)

What about "high" quality audio? usb soundcard?

For the screen / touch i am not sure yet but will manage somehow... how about custom resolutions?

Will it use the GPS from the phone?

Just some newbies thoughts..

/Kasper

Nawor

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:44 pm

Firstly, congrats on the XDA shout out. Secondly, the reason I'm here is to try and fix my crap Nissan touchscreen software (crap map updates, boring look, but highly integrated into the vehicle). I had found a $1k unit (called naviplus) which allows the use of the factory software & screen, then on the press of a button it switches to Android auto. The biggest factor of that is the price.

Will your project allow for a similar operation? Thanks

zoelqivlie

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:18 am

I installed it with your step by step in github ;-) but when I plug the usb to my android , raspbian just showed the android folder manager access promise
tkraspilabs Indonesia | Pi 512M Rev 2 | Pi B+ | Pi 2 B | Pi Zero | Pi 3B

vloke

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:03 am

The pain is almost over. I have a distro based on OpenAuto that is ready for testing if anyone is brave enough. You would just need a pi 3 and the official touchscreen for it to work.

Get the image at: http://getcrankshaft.com. Let me know of your successes/failures with it.

zoelqivlie

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 pm

@vloke, thank you I will try it ;-)
tkraspilabs Indonesia | Pi 512M Rev 2 | Pi B+ | Pi 2 B | Pi Zero | Pi 3B

fredoll

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks a lot
it just works ! and works great :-)
Waiting for the official touch screen as 22' touch screen is a bit big for a car :-)
Fred

PS : read the Wiki to get detailed build instructions

fredoll

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:58 pm

I was wondering, is there a possibility (and interest) of running openauto without an X server (I think Qt can adress the Framebuffer directly via openGL) ?

Marduk201

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:22 am

Hey man love this.. any way to add Vertical support?

f1x

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Marduk201 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:22 am
Hey man love this.. any way to add Vertical support?
You can adjust Screen DPI parameter (Settings -> Video tab) to change layout of Android Auto.

walkonatyclb

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:25 pm

My Nexus 6P won't connect. It says it's connected to my car with my phone but the openauto OS won't show it on the screen.

Mandrewpi

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:04 am

Hey vloke this os actually works pretty good. I am using the Pi display in my car with this os.
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 Bs, Pi 3 b+, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

f1x

Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi all. During the OpenAuto project lifetime I read many questions how to control RPI power-up and shutdown based on the car's ignition state. If someone of you is interested in the solution, take a look at the power supply project at Blue Wave Studio blog.

Return to “Other projects”