gpre7086

Looking for design guidance

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 am

All -

I'm in a manufacturing environment and have various sensors ( some of them pi ;) ) that collect data and store it in various repositories. I'd like to build an app that is a carousel of screens that displays the data from the various sources. The presentation of the data could be graphs, tables, text, etc. One screen may show the temperature of the furnace, another may show the cooling systems, another may show scrap reports, etc. I'd like to have these screens repeatedly cycled on one of our big monitors. Retrieving the data is not my challenge it is the carousel/display.

What would be the best approach? A single gui (Tkinter) app that cycles through screens/frames? Look to render HTML in some way. load/unload different programs? Just not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. /Greg

scotty101

Re: Looking for design guidance

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:16 am

gpre7086 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 am
What would be the best approach? A single gui (Tkinter) app that cycles through screens/frames? Look to render HTML in some way. load/unload different programs? Just not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. /Greg
As handy as tkinter is, it isn't very pretty and doesn't have any 'out-the-box' methods for rendering HTML or carousels.
You will probably find that more modern GUI frameworks like Kivy or QT (PySide/PyQT) are more capable.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

gpre7086

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:39 am

Thank you for the response. I'll look into the suggested GUI frameworks. Thinking about the architecture of the app - do you think a single app and just cycling thru the different screens or is there a better more modular approach? Thank you. /Greg

stevend

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:08 am

If the Pi is just managing the display, and accessing an existing database to get the data (i.e. data acquisition is handled by some other device) a single app, in the sense of a single thread, will be fine.
Then I suggest using classes and inheritance to display the data; a base class for the core, with descendants to handle display of different types of data. (Both Python and C++ can do this - I think Python would probably be easier if its fast enough)

gpre7086

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:51 am

Thank you for your response. That was the guidance I was looking for! /Greg

Return to “Other projects”