rannyfash

Re: supercomputer

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 am

i see the rasberry pi is quite powerfull for its size, why not get a couple hundred and create a supercomputer , or better yet design the worlds cheapest supercomputer utilising about ten boards with many arm11 chips on for students to mess around on

kme

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:58 am

Yet another clueless newbie that reinvents the wheel and couldn't be bothered to read existing threads for 30 minutes.

No, R-Pi is useless for a supercomputer. Yes it is useful as an educational cluster platform.

Mezo

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:38 am

When you think back to the Cray 1 in 1960 with its 80Mhz processor what used to sell for US$8,000,000 we've come a long way since then, what would they have paid for a Pi to used on the Apollo space mission back then?

Best i get on restoring that old DeLorean ive got sat in the garage with its plutonium powered "flux capacitor" which supplies 1.21 gigawatts of energy. Then all i need is a few hundred Raspberry Pi`s and a nice long road to get my 88mph going.

Mezo.

Vindicator

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:47 am

I have seen a article/joke that stated that a musical greeting card may have had more computing power, than all of the allied forces in World War II.

Super computer=hundreds of PlayStation 3's (US air Force has one made with PS3)

Dozens of Raspi's= a lot of work and interesting project but not a supercomputer.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

Svartalf

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:26 pm

kme said:

Yet another clueless newbie that reinvents the wheel and couldn't be bothered to read existing threads for 30 minutes.

No, R-Pi is useless for a supercomputer. Yes it is useful as an educational cluster platform.

Now, now...  No need to be insulting.  The thread about Brambles' is quite buried right now and doing a search might've not resulting in them finding out the limitations of the R-Pi.

And...I'd hesitate to say it's useless for a supercomputer.  It's just not overly useful past an education exercise about clusters and supercomputers without coming up with some MPI scheme to help leverage GPGPU computing out of each device in the cluster.

It's one of my plans to start towards cobbling together a Bramble (Raspberry PI Cluster...) once I manage to lay hands on more than a couple of the Model B boards, just to see what all we CAN manage with them.

patrickhwood

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Actually, you should take a look at the FAWN (Fast Array of Wimpy Nodes) project at Carnegie Mellon University (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fawnproj).  Their first project was a cluster of 21 500 MHz embedded boards connected via ethernet over consumer (Linksys) routers.

csoutreach

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:45 pm

It's kind of being done -- connecting thousands of ARMs together for massive compute power.

http://apt.cs.man.ac.uk/projec.....SpiNNaker/ uses lots of ARMs to simulate neurons. It's currently being built out of about PCBs with about 11-20 chips on.

Raspberry Pi, probably isn't most power/space/interconnect efficient way of doing it sadly...

No prizes for people who spot how it's linked with the BBC micro project though.
http://piface.openlx.org.uk/ Raspberry Pi IO Interface Board

Return to “Other projects”