UniversityStudentGuy

Using Pi as a University RFID Scanner to find your next class

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi guys I'm working on a final year university project involving a rasperberry pi scanner which you scan a RFID card to display and show the optimal route for a student's next classroom for their lesson from a fixed location where the rasperberry pi would be stationary.

My idea is to include a database with the student's destination/next lesson info (lesson time and general lecture building) and when the RFID card is scanned it will bring up an image of a map of my campus directing them to the optimal route to attend their next lesson.

I know I have to use Python however, I don't really know to implement this.

I think something similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgf9mkEm77s

However, when using the RFID card on the scanner displays the image of the map of my campus instead of attendance and payment.

My apologies if this is the incorrect forum to post in.

Any tips or any links to any resources would help since, I a noob at this and so confused :D

topguy

Re: Using Pi as a University RFID Scanner to find your next class

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 am

You dont *have* to use Python if you dont want to, or are more comfortable with another programming language.

Your question is so open that its difficult to know what to answer. so I'll say what I say to most: "Divide and conquer."

Your most complex part will probably create the database and logic for storing students schedules unless the university already have this data for you to use. ( and this part is not Raspberry Pi specific either so can probably be developed on any Linux (or Unix, do universities have Unix anymore ? ) computer. )

UniversityStudentGuy

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Sorry for the late reply,
I've taken your divide and conquer bit and have been working on certain bits and created an access database and use the pypyodbc module to as a connector to python and it displays data however from the database I had laying around however, I don't know or understand how to get my RFID raspberry pi (which I can read and display the id number of the RFID cards on PuTTY) to read the id number on the database and display the database info.

My end goal to link the RFID raspberry pi to the python script on my PC which is linked to the Access database which is linked to a html website to display an image of how to get to the building based on day/date/time from a static location.

So it will be like if day is tuesday look at tuesday table (or something)
is building present? if no then it will display an image stating that there is no lesson current [default value = none or something]
if time is 10:00 display [building name present within database] that is stored during that time in the database

Still slowly working on it however, any ideas on how to make the scan card link to the database and eventual html website would be so grateful!
thanks again :)

topguy

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:25 pm

(which I can read and display the id number of the RFID cards on PuTTY
More details is needed, how are your doing this ? Are you using putty to read the serial port, and the RFID reader just prints ID on the serial port?

UniversityStudentGuy

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 pm

I used advanced IP scanner to scan the IP address of the raspberry pi that I connect to my pc via ethernet.

I used puTTY and entered the IP address of the raspberry pi to connect to it by entering the default username-pi and password-raspberry and loaded the (cd /home/pi/) default python script (python 01_read.py) that I had come with my RFID reader to test if it works which can be found here:

The script basically displays the ID number of the RFID card when scanned on the RFID522 scanner.

https://github.com/simonmonk/clever_car ... 01_read.py

I also used VNC viewer to make it easier to transfer files as well as view the raspberry pi desktop.

I also use pypyodbc and changed my Microsoft access table to a 2003 to make it compatible and connect properly with my python script and have been currently using atom to code.

edit- used pypyodbc instead of mypysql since, I was facing issues with getting mypysql to work

I don't know if that helps make it clearer?

Return to “Other projects”