jfcmartins

OBD2 Bluetooth won't connect

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Hello! :)

I'm trying to connect an OBD2 (ELM327) bluetooth adapter to my Raspberry Pi 3. I have the Raspbian updated software and I installed the Bluez latest version. I also made a C program in Raspberry Pi that communicate with a Simulator in Windows (connected with Bluetooth) and that's what I'm trying to apply to the OBD2.

The problem is that I can connect with other Bluetooth devices like my laptop but the OBD2 always give me the same error: "Connection failed - No usable services on this device".
2018-01-08-172724_1824x984_scrot.png
2018-01-08-172724_1824x984_scrot.png (25.91 KiB) Viewed 640 times
So I searched a lot and I can't find a solution to this.
I know that this is an old topic and I searched a lot in this forum but there are no solutions...
The topics I saw:
viewtopic.php?t=174327
viewtopic.php?t=191517
viewtopic.php?p=947185#p947185
viewtopic.php?t=152143
viewtopic.php?t=125902
viewtopic.php?t=3057

Anyone knows how to make the connection? I've stuck in this problem and I can't continue with my project without this...

Douglas6

Re: OBD2 Bluetooth won't connect

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm

It looks like you have seen the pertinent posts on this forum. I don't understand why you would need to install BlueZ on a recent version of Raspbian. And I don't understand if you're trying to connect to both a PC and an OBD II device via Bluetooth from the Pi. That would (I think) require two instances of rfcomm, running on different channels. But I would try each individually first.

Most importantly, it looks like you're trying to connect from the GUI; that won't work. You'll need to use rfcomm, as described in some of those threads you linked.

jfcmartins

Re: OBD2 Bluetooth won't connect

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:57 am

Douglas6 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm
It looks like you have seen the pertinent posts on this forum. I don't understand why you would need to install BlueZ on a recent version of Raspbian. And I don't understand if you're trying to connect to both a PC and an OBD II device via Bluetooth from the Pi. That would (I think) require two instances of rfcomm, running on different channels. But I would try each individually first.

Most importantly, it looks like you're trying to connect from the GUI; that won't work. You'll need to use rfcomm, as described in some of those threads you linked.
I connected to PC only to do the first tests because I have a simulator of OBD that receive commands from Raspberry Pi and send me the responses via Bluetooth. https://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/obdsim.html

So the main purpose is only to connect Pi with OBD.
Okay. I will try the rfcomm again and I will give you some feedback... Thanks!

Return to “Other projects”