mightygoose

Re: Raspberrypi Quadcopter?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Arduino has pretty much total monopoly on the Quadcopter hobbyist market, Is there any reason that a Raspi ( + Gertboard?) couldn't be used, considering the comparable price brackets?

It just seems like this is another cool science project waiting to happen that could generate interest in programming in youngsters.

manis404

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:06 pm

There's no reason that makes the RasPi incapable of making an autonomous drone out of a Quadcopter.

I believe, though, the gertboard is overkill here. It would be nice if someone could design a RasPi 'shield' for that kind of application - with gyros, accelerometers  and stuff.

pishboy

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:11 pm

an arduino type shield might not be a good candidate for this; the GPIO pins are only on 1 side and wouldn't be sturdy enough. Maybe nylon spacers could be used for the shield.

yep, the gertboard is overkill. There is an I2C line for the sensors and the rest of the GPIO pins for the output. You could probably even fit it in a board half the size of Raspi, maybe even less if you go SMD

A gertboard-mini is a good idea though, i'd join in if i could

mightygoose

Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:05 pm

having done a bit more reading it seems Gert is looking at arduino connectivity as his post gertboard project.

AlexZ0nder

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:42 am

Hey guys!

I think this is more wonderfull thing http://www.ez-robot.com/, that can be replaced by RaspberryPI and Gert board...

nigle

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:24 pm

manis404 said:

It would be nice if someone could design a RasPi 'shield' for that kind of application - with gyros, accelerometers  and stuff.

That is on my to do list, I am currently finishing the layout of a board with 3 axis gyro, accelerometer and compass chips on it for a totally different project.

You could probably even fit it in a board half the size of Raspi, maybe even less if you go SMD

You have to go SMD, the latest cool chips aren't available in anything else. And it can be a LOT smaller than half the size of a Raspi, the connector will probably take up most of the board.

I might do a second version with a four channel ESC included, this would be able to report voltage, current and RPM back to the Raspi for maximum geekiness.

reddakota

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:02 pm

I have been waiting for a small and powerful device like this for a long time.  I absolutely plan to build an autonomous quadcopter with this.  I've already started researching components to build it from scratch.  No prebuilt flight stabilizer.  Just a Pi, ATmega328, flight components (gyros, compass, altimeter, motors), text editor, compiler, and some imagination.

I'm very excited to get started on this project.  I'll be even more excited when I have a Pi in hand and some money to begin.

kitchen

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:34 pm

reddakota,  I am as well interested in your idea and want to learn.  Can we collaborate on this project?

wq7278

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:54 pm

nigle said:

manis404 said:

It would be nice if someone could design a RasPi "shield" for that kind of application – with gyros, accelerometers  and stuff.

That is on my to do list, I am currently finishing the layout of a board with 3 axis gyro, accelerometer and compass chips o…..

I am very interested in the "sheild" you are making. At this moment I am trying to make a android phone fly. It would be wonderful if I can use PI. Please keep us updated on your project.

Also, we need Wifi.

SN

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 pm

wq7278 said:

nigle said:

manis404 said:

It would be nice if someone could design a RasPi "shield" for that kind of application – with gyros, accelerometers  and stuff.

That is on my to do list, I am currently finishing the layout of a board with 3 axis gyro, accelerometer and compass chips o…..

I am very interested in the "sheild" you are making. At this moment I am trying to make a android phone fly. It would be wonderful if I can use PI. Please keep us updated on your project.

Also, we need Wifi.

flying android phone...

already done with an iphone...

Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

robotmaker

Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:42 pm

nigle wrote:manis404 said:

It would be nice if someone could design a RasPi 'shield' for that kind of application - with gyros, accelerometers and stuff.

That is on my to do list, I am currently finishing the layout of a board with 3 axis gyro, accelerometer and compass chips on it for a totally different project.

You could probably even fit it in a board half the size of Raspi, maybe even less if you go SMD

You have to go SMD, the latest cool chips aren't available in anything else. And it can be a LOT smaller than half the size of a Raspi, the connector will probably take up most of the board.

I might do a second version with a four channel ESC included, this would be able to report voltage, current and RPM back to the Raspi for maximum geekiness.
so how is the shield going? I think It would be pretty popular. I know I would probably buy/make one if you finish it. :)
I'm hungry. Pi anyone?

RicardoSantos

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi to everyone...
I want to build a quadcopter too... =)

Why don't you use something like this:
http://www.varesano.net/projects/hardware/FreeIMU

I have one and seems very good... And you have all the sources there... =D

Return to “Other projects”