BruceJohnJennerLawso

Trying to figure out if feeding HDMI in is possible

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 am

So Ive been mulling over an idea for a raspberry pi powered VR headset. I bought one of those plastic VR headsets that you can slot your phone into and look at a nice little scene like underwater sharks for a few minutes, but the applications available were minimal at best. I happened to notice that the space where the phone slots in could be refitted pretty easily to hold a small HDMI screen, such as this one from adafruit or this one from pi52. That would be nice, but not very useful, as the screen would just be very up close and personal without any splitting (ie, splitting the image into two views, one for each eye).

It seems like if I have to take a pi along for the ride like I would need to power the screen with the pi52 model, I might as well make use of it to take in a single hdmi signal or a pair of signals, one for each eye, and transform those input signals into a single hdmi picture with them both in the correct spots on the hdmi monitor. The trouble is I dont know how to do that, as the raspberry pi only has one hdmi port, and its definitely only an output. Reading through that thread I see there is the possibility of getting a third party processor that can do pretty much exactly what Im thinking of, but it comes with a 500 UK pound pricetag (dont even want to think about how that translates into CAD :cry: ). Doing a bit more research, I see that someone did try to kickstart a hat/board that looks like what Im looking for but the kickstarter didnt hit its goal.

Are there any of the ocean of raspberry pi clones out there (banana pi, orange pi, CHIP, whatever), that might have an HDMI input on them? Or failing that, are there any cheap options that might be able to do what Im thinking with the HDMI signal splitting into two panes on the same screen?

DougieLawson

Re: Trying to figure out if feeding HDMI in is possible

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:19 am

There's no sensible way to feed HDMI into a RPi. The hardware to do that doesn't exist.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 am

BruceJohnJennerLawso wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 am
So Ive been mulling over an idea for a raspberry pi powered VR headset. I bought one of those plastic VR headsets that you can slot your phone into and look at a nice little scene like underwater sharks for a few minutes, but the applications available were minimal at best. I happened to notice that the space where the phone slots in could be refitted pretty easily to hold a small HDMI screen, such as this one from adafruit or this one from pi52. That would be nice, but not very useful, as the screen would just be very up close and personal without any splitting (ie, splitting the image into two views, one for each eye).

It seems like if I have to take a pi along for the ride like I would need to power the screen with the pi52 model, I might as well make use of it to take in a single hdmi signal or a pair of signals, one for each eye, and transform those input signals into a single hdmi picture with them both in the correct spots on the hdmi monitor. The trouble is I dont know how to do that, as the raspberry pi only has one hdmi port, and its definitely only an output. Reading through that thread I see there is the possibility of getting a third party processor that can do pretty much exactly what Im thinking of, but it comes with a 500 UK pound pricetag (dont even want to think about how that translates into CAD :cry: ). Doing a bit more research, I see that someone did try to kickstart a hat/board that looks like what Im looking for but the kickstarter didnt hit its goal.

Are there any of the ocean of raspberry pi clones out there (banana pi, orange pi, CHIP, whatever), that might have an HDMI input on them? Or failing that, are there any cheap options that might be able to do what Im thinking with the HDMI signal splitting into two panes on the same screen?

Probably look at an Android TV Box with HDMi input.

There are no RPi Clones as none use the same SoC !

Alternatively see:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=120702
Adieu

mattmiller

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 am

Check out this recent thread on HDMI inputs
viewtopic.php?p=1252126

Return to “Other projects”