XueHai8

PSU w/multiple 12v & 5v outlets for Pi and Peripherals.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 am

I'm looking for a PSU that has multiple outlets for 12v and 5v devices.
I have an electronics cabinet that has a modem, router, wifi APs, RPis, and other gear that each require its own Power Supply.
It's a wiring Nightmare.
Despite the risk of a single point of failure, I'd still like a single PSU that could power everything to reduce clutter and make power cord management less if a PITA.
I'm basically looking for something that has 12+ 5v 3a USB outlets, and 6+ 12v 5a barrel jack outlets.
I think a 500w+ ATX power supply would probably cover everything and this could probably be done as a DIY project, but I know next to nothing about electronics and PSUs.
So I'm looking for something off-the-shelf.
Googling has turned up zilch for me.
Anyone know of something or where to look?
Thanks!

Shea

Re: PSU w/multiple 12v & 5v outlets for Pi and Peripherals.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi, try the following link for info - https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/which-power-supply.
Do not know anyone sell ready made cables, but you can try to ask some handy person to make it for you.
All it needs is to short out 1 pin, and make your own cables for 5V, ad 12V. Be very carefully with voltage output, and polarity. Check it three times, before you connect any electronic to it. I used a PSU to power 4 Pis on my desk.

XueHai8

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:18 am

Thanks! I'll check it out.

whyde

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 am

XueHai8 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 am
I'm looking for a PSU that has multiple outlets for 12v and 5v devices.
Nice thing about working with computer wiring is the stuff is standardized. and color coded....I would still test with a multi meter just to make sure everything is within tolerances, but all your yellow wires for example are going to be 12V, all orange 3.3v etc... Image
I have an electronics cabinet that has a modem, router, wifi APs, RPis, and other gear that each require its own Power Supply.
It's a wiring Nightmare.
Despite the risk of a single point of failure, I'd still like a single PSU that could power everything to reduce clutter and make power cord management less if a PITA.
depending on what you are building, it may be better to have it where it's easier to mange everything. if it's something that relies on all of the components, if one fails it won't do you any good anyway, and if you get a decent power supply, I would think it should be just as stable as say a desktop PC with individual components being powered. just make sure whatever method you use for connectors, they are secure, and solid. I would recommend soldering instead of crimp on connectors if possible, but if you must use crimp on, then I would strip the wire back, fold the exposed wire over on to the insulation, so that the bare wire is on top, then make sure to crimp down on the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, so you are squeezing the metal inside the crimp on connector onto the bare wire.
I'm basically looking for something that has 12+ 5v 3a USB outlets, and 6+ 12v 5a barrel jack outlets.
to figure the amps, I believe the formula is Amperage = Wattage / Voltage.
I think a 500w+ ATX power supply would probably cover everything and this could probably be done as a DIY project, but I know next to nothing about electronics and PSUs.
as for the wattage, I would try to look up the watts for each device, or use something like this https://www.amazon.com/P3-International ... b_title_hi with everything powered up to get an idea if 500 watts is going to be sufficient, overkill, or not enough.
So I'm looking for something off-the-shelf.
Googling has turned up zilch for me.
Anyone know of something or where to look?
Thanks!
I would not recommend going with the cheapest....I've seen cheap Chinese knock off stuff that could have burned a house down if not caught....make sure you buy from a reputable place like amazon, newegg, cdw, etc...

I think this might help you along with your project....
https://makezine.com/projects/computer- ... y-adapter/

as for the wattage, I would try to look up the watts for each device, or use something like this https://www.amazon.com/P3-International ... b_title_hi with everything powered up to get an idea if 500 watts is going to be sufficient, overkill, or not enough.

hippy

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:29 am

whyde wrote:
Nice thing about working with computer wiring is the stuff is standardized. and color coded.
Except when companies like Dell decide to buck the standard, use the same connectors as the standard but wire things differently than expected.

If you have a Dell PSU or PC then take particular care, and it's always best to double-check wiring and never trust colour coding.

whyde

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:52 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:29 am
whyde wrote:
Nice thing about working with computer wiring is the stuff is standardized. and color coded.
Except when companies like Dell decide to buck the standard, use the same connectors as the standard but wire things differently than expected.

If you have a Dell PSU or PC then take particular care, and it's always best to double-check wiring and never trust colour coding.
Those power supplies were only in use between 1996 and 2000. and from what I gathered reading the OP's post, it would seem they are looking to purchase one, so doubtful that they would even be able to find a Dell power supply from that time frame.

Still, I agree Dell should have stuck with the standard design, or made a non-standard plug, using standard plug with non-standard pin-out is a recipe for disaster. I am surprised there wasn't (or if there was, it wasn't larger) a class action lawsuit on this as I could see many people upgrading their systems with a different board and frying out everything because they kept the original Dell power supply.

XueHai8

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:58 am

Thank you, whyde and hippy for all your valuable information!
I didn't want to go DIY, but it looks like that the only alternative.
Thanks again!

Return to “Other projects”