priggs410

Combining two popular RP projects

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum and am not sure if this has already been asked; so my apologies for possible repetition.

I am trying figure out if combining two rather popular projects into one RP 3B is possible. Those projects are:
- Personal cloud storage for family (most likely through owncloud)
- Notification screen/ digital photo frame (self-contained) hanging on a wall (not using DAKBoard)

some random ideas I had is to use a RP Zero-W to complete one of the two functions (don't know if possible)

Like I said, I am completely new to this and don't know that much so please the acronyms to a minimum. haha

Thanks for any help!!

topguy

Re: Combining two popular RP projects

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:00 am

First (In my opinion) crucial decision: Storage solution.
Where will the files in your personal cloud be stored ? Disk attached to Pi or a networked solution ?

You choice here will then dictate where the Pi will/can be located and then also dictate where/how the display can be connected and mounted.

(using the cheaper PiZero for the notification screen is probably not a bad idea)

priggs410

Re: Combining two popular RP projects

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 am

@topguy
The plan was having an external hard drive plugged into the pi. I am planning to mount everything within a box built around the monitor so there should be plenty of space.

With the PiZero-W, would I be able to link it to the RP 3B in any way?

Return to “Other projects”