nJoy.

Vehicle media center/navi

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:52 am

Hi everyone, so I got my raspberry pi 3. And got myself thinking of what to do with it. Idea I've got is to make car media center with navigation. Car I drive is Volvo XC70 2005, it has factory navigation, which is pretty bad.

So here are my "setup" thoughts:

For begining I would need to reduce from 12v to 5v for raspberry. Secondly I would need a UPS, for soft shutdown of raspberry.

For GPS I think I would use some kind of USB gps dongle, not sure how good they work, but I have seen people using them, so might try it out.

If I wouldn't be able to use factory steering wheel controls and factory screen I would change it to touchscreen. With that comes huge challange. Where to put raspberry. Whole navi screen is on front panel, so I would need to put it somewhere near it, but I wouls face some heat from head unit and bad ventilation and ofcourse really bad access. I could put it somewhere in the trunk. There is plenty of space, but it is quite far from the screen.

Sound from raspberry itself wouldn't be a problem as I have yatour installed already, so I could use that for playing sound.

And deffinetley some fuses, for not burning out this setup and not burning my car.

Any thoughts on this project? Maybe you would do something diffrently? I'm open to any ideas. Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Vehicle media center/navi

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:43 am

nJoy. wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:52 am
Hi everyone, so I got my raspberry pi 3. And got myself thinking of what to do with it. Idea I've got is to make car media center with navigation. Car I drive is Volvo XC70 2005, it has factory navigation, which is pretty bad.

So here are my "setup" thoughts:

For begining I would need to reduce from 12v to 5v for raspberry. Secondly I would need a UPS, for soft shutdown of raspberry.

For GPS I think I would use some kind of USB gps dongle, not sure how good they work, but I have seen people using them, so might try it out.

If I wouldn't be able to use factory steering wheel controls and factory screen I would change it to touchscreen. With that comes huge challange. Where to put raspberry. Whole navi screen is on front panel, so I would need to put it somewhere near it, but I wouls face some heat from head unit and bad ventilation and ofcourse really bad access. I could put it somewhere in the trunk. There is plenty of space, but it is quite far from the screen.

Sound from raspberry itself wouldn't be a problem as I have yatour installed already, so I could use that for playing sound.

And deffinetley some fuses, for not burning out this setup and not burning my car.

Any thoughts on this project? Maybe you would do something diffrently? I'm open to any ideas. Thanks!

Regards power, Cigar Lighter USB Buck Convertor will give you 5V 3A, something like:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buck-Convert ... 2041543189

Maps can be handled by Navit, whilst gpsd handles the GPS, for which you will need a USB GPD Dongle.

You will likely need a something like this for safe shutdown.

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/po ... 1/ups-pico

This has all been asked and covered many times, googling may be a positive step !
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

Return to “Other projects”