Noobest of them all

Effect Unit/pedal (for guitar or other instrument)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi

have anyone done something like this with Pi, and would it be too complicated for a noob? I mean things like these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_unit

I'm just curious about the possibilities and want a discussion about how it could be done. I guess there is already programs done for Linux that can handle different effects. But how about the "soundcard" on the Pi? Is it powerful enough? What components would be needed and where can I find them?

The OS wouldn't need any GUI and it would be great if it was quick to start right after the power was turned on.

I guess it would be really cool to have the possibility to program your own sound in some program in linux to use with the pedal/unit. Maybe such things already exists, I haven't used a pedal since mid 90s and I guess there must have happened a lot since then.

poing

Re: Effect Unit/pedal (for guitar or other instrument)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm a Linux newbie, so bear wit me. But I searched a bit:

First of all you need a good external USB sound card (I have the M-Audio Fasttrack Pro) if you want a chance to get good quality. This is where you plug your guitar into. You connect it with USB to the computer where the computer does the sound manipulation and sends it back to the card which is also connected to an amplifier (PA system rather then guitar amp I think). Then I guess you'll need something like Jack + Alsa (http://jackaudio.org/device_support) on Linux (ASIO on Windows).

It would be nice if this could work with a Pi, but don't count on me anytime soon :D

eLJay

Re: Effect Unit/pedal (for guitar or other instrument)

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:22 pm

I was wondering if it's possible to build the Raspberry Pi into the guitar and have 6 or 8 pickup coils attach to it so that they can be connected together in any combination or phase from a web interface run from a laptop and add in effects to any of the signals and feed those to channels on recording software?

Worth some thinking.

Return to “Other projects”