ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: PiCard - GUI SD Preparation Tool

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:14 am

esbeeb said:

Oracle VirtualBox IS cross-platform.  Why not make a VirtualBox Virtual Machine with some sort of Linux Distro as the guest OS (perhaps some really minimal, small one).  Your Picard utility would be the only thing that it performs, when it's booted (no time wasted with creation of users, installing software, etc. in that VM's OS).  The ext4-related utilities Picard needs are easily available in the Linux Guest OS.  Hopefully, that VM can take over control of the SD Card to the extent necessary for Picard to "do its magic".

the problem is that Virtualbox doesn't work with an awful lot of builtin sd card reader/writers and is iffy when it comes to USB ones especially on Windows

Chromatix

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:41 am

To be fair, native Linux seems to be having a lot of trouble with my new USB3 card reader.  Even if I attach it via USB2.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

marc

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:29 am

Hello again.

Thanks for your input esbeeb.

VM will not work and is not a good idea when you can already have linux live cd/usb programmed to only read sd card or mmc.  This has already been covered in other posts on this thread.

Qemu is cross platform but still its an extra download when really it won't be needed say for instance a program that can run on 3 different os's linux microsoft and mac, using say java, all the machines need are j-r-e, the issue Liam has been having is mostly with the windows machine not having dd, but now he has dd.exe and can bundle that into his software pack, the other issue is identifying which device in windows is the mmc/usb card reader as so the user cannot accidently wipe their system partition on their home/school/work pc and have to re-install their system because after using dd in unix/windows would pretty much destroy the data on the harddrive its written to.

Hope this helps to clear up the reason why Liam has chosen the path he is taking with the software.  And we are all here to help and encourage him.  Any ideas how to program for windows without using c c++ visual basics etc would be very useful as I believe he already has a fix for the unix based os's. (besides most Linux/Unix users know how to do this stuff anyway, just the odd few that use ubuntu as tho it was windows, that might struggle a little.)

liamfraser280

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:33 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the support.

Just to let you know that I will still be working on this project but at the moment I'm going to have a pretty couple of busy weeks hitting coursework deadlines and so on. I'll have february half term off soon though so plenty of time to get a fair bit of development in!

Cheers,

Liam.

esbeeb

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Hello all,

Your summary is much appreciated.  I plead guilty to not reading the entire 17 pages of postings, before I posted.  Since the OS-level "approach" for Picard has now come together (and kudos on that!), perhaps the time has come for there to be some somewhat-persistent web pages, etc. which summarise this approach and progress on Picard to date, so that newcomers like myself can more easily see the current state of all the progress on Picard, and thereby make valuable contributions much faster.  This would be in supplement to this Forum thread.

I appreciate how Liam has to focus on his studies (and I wish him, well on that) but perhaps in the meantime all the other willing volunteers could work together to set up some of these peripheral things (which support the code that Liam plans to write).  Peripheral things like a summary, a download page, a mini-FAQ, source code repository, etc. Perhaps some of these are already settled on, and I apologise if I'm being redundant here.  But perhaps there some gaps that need filling in.

I imagine it will take time to gather consensus on some of all of these peripheral things, such as: where to post?  Who will post?  Liam only?  Which repository?  Subversion?  Git?  Which hosting site?  github?  Launchpad?  etc.

Liam's "rapid mock-up" code, if any, could then be posted in there, as a starting point.

Having said that, I myself can't get involved in this at this time.

Cheers, and good luck,

Esbeeb

liamfraser280

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:14 pm

I did put together a google code repository a while back.

My code is a little bit messy at the moment so I'm going to just organise it a little better with the aid of a style tool and then I'll put it in the repository. I'll also put together some technical diagrams of how it will work.

http://code.google.com/p/rasp-pi-card/

As well as my studies, I also have a new responsibility at Raspberry Pi which will take up any of my spare time over the next couple of weeks. I'll be able to relax a bit and start work on this once launch day has gone. I can't discuss this yet.

This new responsibility is a far higher priority than Rasp Pi Card (called it that because there is already a utility called picard with a completely different usage). Rasp Pi Card won't be that necessary anyway at release day. This release is mostly intended for techies before it goes into educational release.

marc

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Ok.

Seems Esbeeb has gotten off on the wrong foot, I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone here with the summary.

You raised a question about source code being available for others to amend, great idea if they can work with Liam on the final source code, as far as i can see on the programming side, there are not enough modules or small code snipits that could be given to others to task.

I would imagine that the look and feel of this GUI Tool has already been decided and the issues have been raised to ensure the following.

The Tool is easy to use.

The Tool will not damage the system it is being run on.

The Tool writes partitions the MMC.

The Tool creates Filesystem on the MMC

The Tool copies the Data needed for the Pi to run.

The Tool is capable to install other Distro's that will come later.

The Tool Downloads the Image files from the web.

The Tool does an on the fly extraction from tar ball / zipped archive to MMC.

The Tool works on Linux, Microsoft and Mac.

Hope this helps.

P.s. Liam techies won't need such a tool As most techies already know how to do this or at least are confident enough to use dd (although I use it a lot, there is so much more it can do).  Recently I accidently recreated the MBR on an external usb drive, no excuse really i should of checked the lable.  1.2GB of data lost!

Well got my other laptop back now, and i am searching its hdd for anything that could be useful.  Might take a while there is over 100GB of it.  But would head up the creation of that live cd.

marc

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Might be a bit late in the project, and not wanting to re-read the whole 18 pages of posts.

I do not remember reading anything to do with cygwin.  Linux api for Dos.

Maybe it could help with identifying the mmc and makes use of linux commands.

esbeeb

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Marc,

Your summary is most appreciated.

Liam,

I'm glad you set up a Google Code site (no need to build consensus)!  I think it will help to keep things organised over time, rather than perhaps overusing this forum for things better posted there.

No pressure Liam, but if permissions were eventually granted (if necessary) to willing volunteers like Marc, then info like Marc's summary could be posted (and updated in a timely fashion) at the Google Code Wiki for Pi Card:

http://code.google.com/p/rasp-.....ard/w/list

Myself, I couldn't make a posting on that Wiki, as it seems it's an invite-only sort of thing (which is fine with me).  But I was able to post a couple of Feature Requests (and again, no pressure):

http://code.google.com/p/rasp-.....ssues/list

(First Post there!)

Cheers,

Esbeeb

liamfraser280

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:14 pm

I've put a little summary on the front page I made quite a few pages back. With regards to those feature requests... they are both possible but only really on the Linux version because of the limitations there are for working with Windows and Mac. Those will be secondary features though... after all this tool is supposed to be for the less tech savvy people.

Cheers,

Liam.

esbeeb

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Liam wrote:

Those will be secondary features though… after all this tool is supposed to be for the less tech savvy people.

I agree that they are secondary features, and I wouldn"t expect them to be in the first version of Pi Card, if ever (as these features might just confuse the newbies).

Having said that, Marc hinted at heading up the creation of a Live CD.  Kudos, Marc! Perhaps these secondary features might better belong on such a Live CD (as it"ll almost undoubtedly have the linux software needed there)?  That is to say, a potential Live CD could possibly have a more "Deluxe" version of Pi Card, with these secondary features, intended for more advanced users.

After all, if a user is already savvy enough to know:

What a Live CD is
How to burn one
How to boot from it (having know-how to change the "boot order", and possibly disabling the UEFI in the BIOS of newer computers, see http://ozlabs.org/docs/uefi-secure-boot ... -linux.pdf)

…then it stands to reason they're also the kind of user who probably wants these more advanced features (like a separate home partition, ssh-server enabled by default to run "headless", with a pre-set up username and password, etc.)

I'm not proposing a fork of Pi Card, but perhaps some sort of "Pi Card Plus," containing all the more advanced features, intended for a Live CD (and maybe also linux) only.

marc

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Looking into dos7 boot system and writing in some form of code for cygwin. What i need to know from you Liam.

What do you know about Cygwin?

Would your program be able to use Cygwin? (Linux under Dos).

Can your gui be compatible with it if I where to create a mini gui environment such as those found with regular System recovery CD?

Or would I be better to use something like Puppy with the application loaded and icon on the desktop?

Should make the initial download size be around 60MB, Problem would be the use of the WLAN, although Ethernet connection wouldn't be much of an issue on either CD.

liamfraser280

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi all,

So this is going to be a little dissapointing for some of you.

I've decided to abandon the development of PiCard for the following reasons:

Fedora which is coming out VERY soon has a GUI installer written in python that works for Linux and Windows, and their image resizes partitions on the first boot of the Pi
Their method is much better/tidier than mine was and their tool is finished
I haven't had time to develop PiCard because of my work on the downloads server
The Fedora tool can be used with the other images also, they just don't resize automatically.

We've had some great discussions on the way.

Thanks for everyones contributions to this project,

Liam.

marc

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks Liam its been and an education and really not a waste of time.

Keep us posted on the other version as there are those that have subscribed to this thread.

Time for me to get to work on making MeeGo work (if not already) on Pi.

abishur

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:46 pm

aw sad day!  Thanks for all the other ways you've been contributing!  Even though you're not doing it, at least it was some good practice right?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liamfraser280

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks all!

Was a great way to get good at python and a lot of other stuff which helps now in my tutorials. Fedora's tool looks good though

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/....._Installer

jojopi

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:41 pm

They should surely have called the fedora installer something like 'Riker' in homage, instead of 'fai1'.

paulemm

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Being a beginner I followed this link

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup, and there is says that to "... Download and run the PiCard tool. It will guide you through the progress. See the google code repo and the forum discussion.The PiCard project has now been disbanded"

However there does not seem to be anything there to download and so I wonder if this is just a "Raspberry Herring" or the tool is moved to a new location

Can anyone help me? Or is there another tool I can use under Win XP SP3 to put the Pi LINUX image onto an SD Card?

Yrs Hopefully

PM

Return to “Other projects”