Loriano

Re: Raspberrypi case

Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:21 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Loriano and in my spare time I design and produce small enclosures for niche markets.

I have been following the raspberrypi for a while and recently people have contacted me regarding a protective enclosure for the it.

If anyone is interested please let me know.

Have a look at my webpage, there are some examples of my work for the Amiga computers and its derivatives (Minimig - mini-itx 17x17cm Amiga 500 in fpga), the Commodore 64 1541U ultimate board etc...

http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Many thanks and Merry Christmas. 

Loriano

kingneutron

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Anyone in the USA interested in Pi cases?  I'm in the Missouri area and might be looking for a case soon...

Loriano

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:44 pm

I'll show something as soon as I can manage to put my hands on one board.

Watch this space

rwilliford

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:03 pm

I think that we'll all be wanting one once we get our hands on one.

Fduquette

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:08 pm

A Lego Raspberry Pi!

One could make a cover or case for the Pi using 2 Lego baseplates (maybe 8x16) and some 1x(x) beams and bricks of varying lengths to provide spaces for the attachments, put some strips of adhesive foam on the interior sides of the baseplates to shock-proof it, and there you have it, recipe for a Lego Pi.

It would have the advantage of being connectable to other LEgo bricks, glue a 2x4 brick on the hdtv and place your Lego Pi accordingly.

rwilliford

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 am

Okay, that would be extremely cool if you could build one out of legos. Once you do so, post a tutorial video or something of the sort. I'd be interested in that for sure!

Digital-Wangateur

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Me and my son are going to use Sketchup for the models and Pepakura designer  and card stock to create the case with epoxy and fiberglass for structural integrity to create cases ...some of which will have special functions (IE: be rugged or wearable) and others which will be whimsical.

mspice

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Has anyone already designed a 3D model for a Raspberry Pi case?  I"ve made several project enclosures in Google Sketchup and ordered a 3D printout from http://www.ponoko.com/make-and.....lectronics.  They turned out really great.  I"d guess that it would cost about $30 ea. for something this size and ordered one by one.  Anyone interested in collaborating on the design of such a case in Sketchup?

The FAQ page says that the dimensions are the following.  Are there any other details about offsets of connectors, height of connectors, and so forth?

85.60mm x 53.98mm x 17mm

If anyone from the Raspberry Pi team reads this, it would be fantastic to have a copy of the gerber files that just have the boardoutline, silkscreen, or part placement portions.  I use this with my own designs and import them into Sketchup.  It gives me a fairly accurate way of knowing where the connector holes need to be.

rwilliford

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:06 am

I'd be more than willing to help with a design. I'm interested in that.

abishur

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:36 am

I was also wondering about this fact over the weekend, and not just the basic sizing for the case, but also how far the various bits stick out in the event that you don't need a specific part and just want to cover it up (for instance I don't care about the 3.5mm headphone jack or RCA jack and would just as soon cover them up and let that edge be the front facing edge).

All that said, I haven't seen or heard of any official 3D case rendering, but I'd also be willing to put up a case if/when we're given the various dimensions.  Perhaps a separate thread devoted toward asking that?  My guess at this point in time is that it will be a community driven effort and we'll just have to wait for the final boards.  I mean the boards being auctioned right now have some minor (different SD card slot) so using those as a template might be incompatible with the final boards
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

athensbashing

Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:38 am

I have found this plexiglass box, looks interesting and cheap (dimensions 10 ? 10 ? 3):

A dremel tool will be needed ...

http://www.roussosepigrafes.gr.....i-610.html

Loriano

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 am

Hi everyone,

I have no idea of cost yet, I'd like to put my hands on the final version of the pi before starting making prototypes. Do we know when they'll be available?

I'd also like some input from users to know what they look for in a case. Space, how big/compact, colour? Are you interested in height for future expansions?

Could you post your ideas in this thread?

Which ports are important/vital to the users?

Loriano

gareth82uk

Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Just been having a look around, found this on my travels.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/418055/

Gareth

tlossen

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:53 pm

hi, i put together a sketchup model of the raspi board:

http://files.evercu.be/raspber.....y_pi_2.skp

(this model is a rough approximation — only published info (that i could find) are the dimensions of the board: 53.98 x 85.6 mm. size, shape and position of components and connectors have been inferred from photographs.)

if anybody has access to a real board and could give me some exact numbers, that would be awesome.

athensbashing

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 am

This case looks very sturdy:

http://www.antoniou24.gr/p.Ste.....24675.html

Dimensions 100 x 100 x 50. Easy to cut out holes.

ThomasBerends

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Just take 2 old creditcards, and tape them together ? Tadaa! You got yourself a (very cheap) case! (:

Ogoshi

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:45 pm

I have one of these (image.dhgate.com/upload/spider/e/117/142/e_d2f1oe142117_0.jpg) NAS devices running snake os and although it doesn"t look great, I think something just as simple would be a good option for the Rpi as it looks useless but underneath has a torrent of power to unleash that many wouldn"t be expecting!

mightygoose

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:32 pm

i aspire to make something small in this vein...

[linkie]

His work is superb.....

meekgeek

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:58 pm

I would love to see something that's rack mountable.

Better yet, have the case resemble a real 1U Server that we put in a mini rack.

Oh that would be fun!

barry72

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:09 am

This is ideal (and very cheap!!) for me

http://www.maplin.co.uk/slim-e.....res-219552

Will need a bit od drilling / dremeling though!

deniz185

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:44 am

Hi all together.

First of all. I find this device ist the best !!! Its Awesome.

I have designed a case for the Raspberry because this great device must have a also Case.

http://imgmi.net/a/a744307a.jpg

greetz

mobeyduck

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:58 am

Do your selve a favour and look were all the connectors are.

The power connector is on the other side of the hdmi were you have your power there should be lan & usb

This thread has dozens of ideas for cases http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....spberry-pi

Btw. the board would need about 22mm in hight for model B since there are 2 usb and a lan on it that makes it higher

DavidHParry

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:03 am

Can the Raspberry pi be completely enclosed, does it heat up noticeably, are there any hotspots (apart from the obvious one), does it need airflow, could it be resin-encased for environmental protection for outdoor installation?

[Then found... http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....38;ret=all ]

I don"t really intend to have it "floating" about or sat on a desk or in a pretty jeweled box.

How robust is it?

From the images so far (and it looks brilliant!) I can"t tell if there are any components that will stand up to a multiple G shock in any particular direction. I'm guessing that if it's built for a hostile environment like a classroom, it must be pretty hardy?

Are all the components surface mounted?

Latex/dense foam "cushions" along the edges look like a way to mount it if there are no specific mounting holes.

Looks nice. Looks ideal.

london_bug

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Found my case over christmas

Perfect size - and with a coat of paint will look neat and tidy - room for a small USB drive / wifi stick and off i go

and i enjoyed the chocolates

spamel

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:52 pm

A lot of altoid tin suggestions, but no tobacco tin suggestions which are bigger. Doesn"t matter to me as I plan to integrate on a complete keyboard rebuild, but may be a handy tip for others.

Return to “Other projects”