flipdewaf

Re: Smart Harddrive (with Raspi in) But need help

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:14 am

I have no experience with Linux (how hard can it be) but have done C++ back when I was doing my degree and do a fair bit of VBA in my previous job so I have a vague understanding of how programming and the like works :?

What I am after making is a rasi that I can connect to my TV and browse the webs, maybe control an arduino (never done it but I may get one for crimbo) but I would very much like to use it as a smart harddrive for when I go away with my camera.

I would integrate a Powered USB hub within the same case as the Pi and power the Pi with it in the sae way as mentioned in a thread on here.

I would like to put a big (~100GB) 1.8"HDD in there but im not sure of the best way to do it, I have seen these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZIF-.....2a12a09bdf
which i could route a cabe to it in the enclosure but I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it.

I will also need to add a CF card slot (sorry, no can do SD in my camera) but again I am not sure what to use here. I assume that there may be some sort USB device that I could connect to the Internal hub.

In time I will make a nice bettery pack for it but that is for in the future.

Fred

bradburts

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:50 am

Finding it hard to understand what you have (the camera) and what you want to achieve.
Are you looking to create a device which stores you camera photographs whilst you are away. In effect it would be like having a little notebook and would save you having to carry loads of memory cards?
If that is your aim then you would just want to add a USB disk drive to the RPI. You would need to buy a SATA to USB enclosure and the hard disk itself. Not sure if you can easily get 1.8" enclosures but 2.5" are cheap enough.
You would then configure the RPI operating system to mount then harddrive. Look up 'fstab'.
Next you would want to configure the RPI to copy pictures from your camera whenever your camera is connected.
I would write a small service to check for the USB device (the camera) and then mount the camera when the camera is connected etc. All devices appear as a file under directory '/dev' so it is really a simple directory listing excercise to check if a device has been connected. Best tried rather than explained! Sounds scary writting a service but really it would just be a while loop, a directory check and a sleep. Look up 'init.d'.
There are automount options but you need to script the copying anyway so you would not save much there.
You will need a USB hub as there is only one USB port.

flipdewaf

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:37 pm

I'll explain the camera bit a little better.

Sometimes I am away for a number of days with my camera and will take many pictures (000's). While the way you said it will work it isn't a very elegant solution especially when I am trying to carry as little as possible (im not a reporter type but thats how I like to be when taking pictures). I want to be able to be able to put the CF card in the slot press a button (or something to start it) and then it copies the pictures from the CF to the HDD. I would like to use a 1.8" HDD to minimise the size (and weight) as it will likely have to go up hill and down dale with me. I don't want to have to carry extra wires which is why I want to go all in one.

Fred

Blars

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:46 pm

It sounds like the easiest/cheapest solution for you would just to carry multiple CF cards. At least CF did not make the same mistake as ide and SD and build in a tiny max size. Can you still get 1.8" drives? I'm using CF with an adapter in this laptop since I could not find a resonably priced 1.8" replacement drive.

flipdewaf

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:25 pm

I looked online and I can get a 120gb 1.8" ZIF from an ipod (im unsure if this is the completely wrong thing to use) for £49.99 and a 8gb Sandisc extreme 4 CF for £45.00.

Fred

walney

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Depending on your budget, how about a compact flash to SD card adapter and an eye-fi SD card, which comes with wi-fi built in to do quick transfers wirelessly? For hard disk, you could use a bare 2.5" drive with a usb-sata cable. 2.5s weigh bugger all, aren't very much bigger than a Pi, have greater capacity for lower cost than 1.8s, and are a lot easier to get hold of.

mobeyduck

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:02 pm

You want to carry as less as possible and don't want to take many CF cards with you. So your looking for a 1,8" hdd and a powered usb hub to add to an R-Pi.
completely understandable.

But 1,8"hdd cost more and can store less data than 2,5" hdd can.
And because your going to use a powered usb hub, that should give enough power for both the R-Pi and an 2,5" hdd. And its size matters together the hub and R-Pi would be more then big enough to take the 2,5" instead of an 1,8".

Its not that you would save all that much space with an 1,8".
Taking a look at prizes and size for 1,8" you would end up with a 64GB SSD for about €100
(it looks like there arnt new hdd @ 1,8")
Prize and size for 2,5" also for about €100 1TB.

Less than 64GB isnt worth it since 32GB CF cards cost about €40 true its a rather slow card.
So the advice from me would be take a 2,5" hdd and a USB to SATA adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-SA.....3f116cb890
i have a comparable device just take out the front with the usb and build the hdd to a self made R-Pi case with the usb hub.

mabey some thing like this beagle box http://www.familie-kall.de/cgi.....?BeagleBox
---
Oh and about the CF reader
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-.....1c1a69da30
this combines the hub with a CF/multi reader

This one doesn't come with a power adapter but looking at it i see that the option is there

Svartalf

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Quote from flipdewaf on December 16, 2011, 11:14
I would integrate a Powered USB hub within the same case as the Pi and power the Pi with it in the sae way as mentioned in a thread on here.

Solid thinking so far.

I would like to put a big (~100GB) 1.8"HDD in there but im not sure of the best way to do it, I have seen these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZIF-.....2a12a09bdf
which i could route a cabe to it in the enclosure but I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it.

This would work if you've got PATA/ZIF drives in hand. If you don't, you're going to want something more along the lines of this:

http://www.apricorn.com/produc.....ire-3.html

I've got one of these and the thing works well on LInux for laptop drives.

I will also need to add a CF card slot (sorry, no can do SD in my camera) but again I am not sure what to use here. I assume that there may be some sort USB device that I could connect to the Internal hub.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-.....B000EWJYYW

There's nicer ones than this, but once you get a Type A to pin adapter for the thing, you can plug it right into the hub. and package it all up in the enclosure.

Svartalf

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Quote from walney on December 16, 2011, 16:25
Depending on your budget, how about a compact flash to SD card adapter and an eye-fi SD card, which comes with wi-fi built in to do quick transfers wirelessly? For hard disk, you could use a bare 2.5" drive with a usb-sata cable. 2.5s weigh bugger all, aren't very much bigger than a Pi, have greater capacity for lower cost than 1.8s, and are a lot easier to get hold of.

EyeFi does not work like people keep thinking it does. It's geared to push to about 25 different Internet sites when connected to up to 32 different WiFi ESSIDs. While people have hacked up the ability to make it "work" with Linux, it means you need to configure up a web server to allow it to push to that. :D

mobeyduck

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:10 pm

This would work if you've got PATA/ZIF drives in hand. If you don't, you're going to want something more along the lines of this:

http://www.apricorn.com/produc.....ire-3.html

Taking one from an cheap external case cost way less than $30 ;)
And there is no USB3 I don't even think the R-Pi could handle those speeds but not sure on that never tried it :P

walney

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Quote from Svartalf on December 16, 2011, 17:08
EyeFi does not work like people keep thinking it does. It's geared to push to about 25 different Internet sites when connected to up to 32 different WiFi ESSIDs. While people have hacked up the ability to make it "work" with Linux, it means you need to configure up a web server to allow it to push to that. :D

Damn! I don't have any direct experience of them, but the implication is that you can set up an ad-hoc network: http://support.eye.fi/cards/ne.....c-network/,

(But a bit expensive to try if it doesn't work.)

EDIT: scratch that - looks like you have to plug into a computer first... pointless!

Svartalf

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Quote from mobeyduck on December 16, 2011, 17:10
Taking one from an cheap external case cost way less than $30 ;)
And there is no USB3 I don't even think the R-Pi could handle those speeds but not sure on that never tried it :P

The biggest problem with peeling one from a cheap external case is that there's a reason it's a cheap external case... ;) I'd not really trust anything that didn't end up costing about $25 or more retail for an external case in the first place, based on past experience on these devices.

And the USB3's just their latest model. It should work with USB2.0 stuff correctly.

obarthelemy

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Just FYI, Archos have tablets with HDMI out *and a hard disk inside*, that should do what you want for less that even dumb dedicated CF-to-HD backup gizmos. 2 issues:
- there's supposed to be a gen9 10.1 variant with a HD, it's not even on their site though, only the 70 is: http://store.archos.com/archos.....-5004.html
- they don't support CF natively, so you need to use the Archos's USB host feature and a card reader (or your camera in device mode), or use a microSD inside a CF converter for your camera.
The tablet by itself is not very nice (TN screen, so-so build quality), but at $280 with a 250GB HD, a screen, a battery, HDMI out, and well, being a usable, portable, standalone tablet, it's not too bad either.

Svartalf

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Quote from walney on December 16, 2011, 17:26
Damn! I don't have any direct experience of them, but the implication is that you can set up an ad-hoc network: http://support.eye.fi/cards/ne.....c-network/,

(But a bit expensive to try if it doesn't work.)

EDIT: scratch that - looks like you have to plug into a computer first... pointless!

Heh... They don't provide what most people would think. The WiFi's not accessible to the host via SDIO edge. They have an embedded control processor tied to the flash that knows how to push the pictures to one of several given web services that know how to receive EyeFi pushes. They have a local app that does this sort of thing with ad-hoc (But if you've got an AP...why even bother? It'll understand that as well.) The SDIO edge is a configuration edge for that control processor.

It's more of a gimmick than anything else. Neat one, but a gimmick all the same.

Return to “Other projects”