BraxtonV

Night Vision Goggles Help Wanted!

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:47 pm

I am trying to make a night vision "viewer" of sorts using a mini screen and a Pi3.

I am using a RPI3, official NOIR camera, SunFounder 2.2 inch tft 320x240 screen, and will buy a usb wireless keyboard/mouse combo to control it along with an IR flashlight to see in the dark.

In theory this should be easy.. At least that is what I though when i purchased all of this. However, I have run into some issues getting the camera to show up on the display. It will show up on an hdmi monitor, but not through the screen. It will run the python program i created, but it will not bring the camera up to the screen.
Here is a link to a picture of my Pi and screen.
http://imgur.com/JaGLbjE

Any ideas are welcome!! Please help!

lohtse

Re: Night Vision Goggles Help Wanted!

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:35 pm

We built one using a cheap vr headset of aliexpress. 3d printed parts(we have a printer :-) ), pi zero, wifi dongle, NOir camera and lights and we use an old samsung android phone for the screen.

set up is easy.

1) just install Rpi camera control on pi, set it to run at start..
2)now install Iplay pro on the android device as it has fully functional web browser to use with vr...
3)now set your android device as a hotspot, connect a screen to pi and a keyboard(we have the zero4 hub so that helped) connect to the phones hotspot...
4)then in open iplay pro app go to web tab enter pi's ip address with /html/ at the end eg: 192.168.31.21/html/ and enter you password/username if you need them. and hey presto you now have night vis...

we use a 2600mha power bank to power Pi and bought an IR torch of ebay for extra range..

It works very well indeed and rarely have any latency/lag. Kids love it as do we for the odd night walk... And it works Great underground when we tested it on a couple of our caving trips..

hope that helps.
3x Pi-3 1 x Pi-2 1 x Pi-B+ 1 x Pi-B 2 xPi-Zero 1 x Pi Zero W and a massive ever growing box/room of bits and bobs for them!

BraxtonV

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:40 am

Thanks for the reply lohtse! I will try your method and I will let you know how it goes!

BraxtonV

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:18 am

lohtse wrote:We built one using a cheap vr headset of aliexpress. 3d printed parts(we have a printer :-) ), pi zero, wifi dongle, NOir camera and lights and we use an old samsung android phone for the screen.

set up is easy.

1) just install Rpi camera control on pi, set it to run at start..
2)now install Iplay pro on the android device as it has fully functional web browser to use with vr...
3)now set your android device as a hotspot, connect a screen to pi and a keyboard(we have the zero4 hub so that helped) connect to the phones hotspot...
4)then in open iplay pro app go to web tab enter pi's ip address with /html/ at the end eg: 192.168.31.21/html/ and enter you password/username if you need them. and hey presto you now have night vis...

we use a 2600mha power bank to power Pi and bought an IR torch of ebay for extra range..

It works very well indeed and rarely have any latency/lag. Kids love it as do we for the odd night walk... And it works Great underground when we tested it on a couple of our caving trips..

hope that helps.
I am having trouble on step 1. How do I install Rpi camera control and set it to boot?

Return to “Other projects”