jor2404

Compatible fan and heat sinks for the official case

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:12 pm

I have the official case, model PI 9084212 for Raspberry 3 model B. I would like to know what fans are compatible to mount on the upper tape of the case and waht heat sinks are compatible with this case.

Thank´s for all

amigaholic

Re: Compatible fan and heat sinks por the official case

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:36 am

I mounted a 40mm 5v fan to the inside of the white lid of the official Pi case.

The fan I used was a Noctua NF-A4 FLX 5V. This is a very high-quality product. It's not a silent fan, though. I don't think anyone produces a truly silent fan of this size, and I don't think you can fit a 50mm fan in the same space.

The heatsinks I used were bought from Amazon as a heatsink set suitable for all Raspberry Pis. Which is true - you could use them on any Pi - but you wouldn't be able to put the Pi in the official case if you used the heatsink supplied for connection to the RAM chip on the bottom of the Pi. So I only used the supplied heatsinks for the SoC and the USB/Ethernet controller chip on the upper side of the board.

With the holes I drilled into the lid of case to mount the fan, and the holes I drilled into the lid of the case and the bottom of the case for ventilation, and the fan and the heatsinks mounted and working, the core temperature-at-load was reduced from around 80 C to around 45-50 C, allowing for a small overclock to aid emulation performance without the Pi automatically reducing performance due to overheating issues.

RaTTuS

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:55 am

the only heat-sink you need is the one on the main SOC - the RAM and LAN9514 are not needed to be cooled
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

alphanumeric

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 pm

I just drilled a bunch of cooling holes in my case, and added a nice sized heat sink to the CPU.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgq9j1xsb6fWYloWvTA

MarkJ62

Re: Compatible fan and heat sinks for the official case

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:02 pm

I am using a number of official cases until I can come up with something better for multiple Pis.

I used Enzotech 14x14x14 mm copper heatsink on the SoC. I cut a 38mm hole in the lid and mounted the Noctua 40mm fan on top of the lid. I used the supplied cables and pull power from the GPIO pins.

The Noctua isn't silent but it certainly keeps the temps down while its 30+ degrees here in Sydney. I did post a couple of pics here. They've been running pretty much 24/7 since then (April 2016).

Return to “Other projects”