jb63

GPS Tracker with Pi Zero

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I'm interested in building a short-range (2 miles or so) GPS tracker with the PI Zero. There are already commercial solutions available but those tend to be pricey and not too configurable. Any thoughts/leads on how to build this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201437109845?rmvSB=true

mattmiller

Re: GPS Tracker with Pi Zero

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Looking at that one - its basically a RF direction finder - the cleverness is in having a small but powerful RF transceiver tag to be picked up by a sensitive radio 2 miles away

So you'd have to source something like that - only needs Arduino type level of programming if you did manage to get some pared radios

You could use a Pizero/GPS receiver and 3G dongle instead of a remote RF tag but I'm thinking the weight/size/power requirement of such a setup would not be a runner but you could try it all out without flying it around and then see if you device could carry it. Plus it'd only be as accurate as GPS and if no 3G signal in the area then not at all :(

Nivethitha

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:23 am

Now i can able to obtain the latitude and longitude using GPS and also i can able to send SMS from Raspberry Pi using 3G dongle. But i dont know how to send GPS information as SMS using dongle to user.
can Anyone help??

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Nivethitha wrote:Now i can able to obtain the latitude and longitude using GPS and also i can able to send SMS from Raspberry Pi using 3G dongle. But i dont know how to send GPS information as SMS using dongle to user.
can Anyone help??
Your question is off-topic. I would suggest you start your own new topic for this.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “Other projects”