Intuin

The Ultimate Solution

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi all

I wrestled with the whole issue of how to store my pi safely for some weeks before I came upon the ideal solution: Behold the Corkboard Pi!
CorkboardPi-Wide2.jpg
Corkboard Pi
CorkboardPi-Wide2.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
CorkboardPi-Closeup.jpg
Closeup
CorkboardPi-Closeup.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

dan3008

Re: The Ultimate Solution

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am

Certainly a novel solution. wouldn't look out of place in any IT office or a sifi themed room lol
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

Intuin

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks - I've now seen the design for the new V2.0 Pi, and those mounting holes are just perfect for an even cheaper, more efficient solution! It looks for all the world like it would be possible to reduce the count to a mere 2 pins!

I'm also quite excited about the scalability of this solution - it would be quite conceivable to set up a full cluster of Raspberry Pi's on a single corkboard, and with little incremental outlay.

thexman

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 pm

does your Cork pin board support Eco Friendly Cork as the cork tree is in decline its not very environmentally friendly is it

comment welcome just don't pin them to the board.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

MattHawkinsUK

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 pm

A cork based solution is definitely more environmental friendly than a plastic box. I think you should get this on Dragons' Den before Apple patent it.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

pygmy_giant

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 pm

you could nail it to a living cork tree but then you would have to provide an additional enclosure to protect it from the rain, and longer leads

can't make an omlet without breaking eggs
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

Intuin

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:58 pm

@thexman

I can confirm, it's responsibly sourced cork from sustainably managed forests, and only sliced from the cork trees that have died naturally and fallen to the forest floor.

@MattHawkinsUK

I am sticking to my principles - and the same principles that lead me to support the Raspberry Pi foundation's work, and the Linux operating system on which it operates also lead me to allow the Corkboard solution to be used freely and without restriction by the people of the global village.

@pygmy_giant

An interesting idea. You could always build your house around the living cork tree, and then the shelter would be less of an issue. The concept deserves some further consideration.

:)

Return to “Other projects”