adaminwisco

Help Needed - Digital Sign

Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Greetings all,

I help out at our local hockey rink. We are a not for profit center and need a little help, I am no Pi pro and am weak on programming. We have a white board that we use for locker room assignments. This gets to be messy, and a pain in the butt. Is there anyone that can help guide me (or throw together) a simple locker room assignment board.

It would be something like this:
We have 4 locker rooms, 1 community room and 2 high schools locker rooms. We have one rink.

It would be awesome if a pi could poll info from say, a google cal and translate that to a moving schedule on a tv via a pi.

So example:
8am Locker Room A "Our town"
8am Locker Room B "Your Town"
830am Locker Room C "these guys"
830am Locker Room D "those guys"

Is this making sense? Is there someone that can help? It doesnt need to be fancy, unless you want to spice it up with a sports ticker or something.......

Let me know!

Adam

steveb4pi

Re: Help Needed - Digital Sign

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:39 am

A Pi will just plug into the HDMI socket on the display .. and you can link the Pi to your LAN via WiFi or Ethernet cable and thence to the Internet from where it can 'fetch' your Google calender .....

The 'only problem' is the software .. instead of displaying the web page 'directly', the page 'code' (html) will have to be passed to some script that will extract the relevant information and only let that through to the display ....

There are many ways to do this, however my approach would be to write a 'plug in' for your web browser that removes everything EXCEPT the 'required' data for that 'room' ... just as (for example) the Firefox plug-in uBlock removes adverts (actually, NoScript = JAVA script removal and Flash Block (which removes Flash) might be 'nearer' to what you want ..)

The 'problem' with using Google calender is that if (when) Google changes the way the Calender is displayed, it's going to 'break' your script ...

scotty101

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:55 am

steveb4pi wrote: The 'problem' with using Google calender is that if (when) Google changes the way the Calender is displayed, it's going to 'break' your script ...
Which is why you shouldn't read from the main calendar website. Google provide a well documented API for accessing the calendar so you can read the data from it.
https://developers.google.com/google-ap ... art/python

If you have one account with 4 calendars linked to it, one for each changing room, you should be able to read from the calendars and see who should be using each one at the current time.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

adaminwisco

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:08 pm

Guys,

thanks for the great responses. As I mentioned I am no Pi guy. Would either of you like to assist me with this? I can kick you a couple bucks out of my own pocket since the rink has zero extra funds.

Let me know.....
Adam

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:19 pm

Take a look at Ken's PiPresents.
https://pipresents.wordpress.com/
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “Other projects”