brettsalyer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:56 am

Android Car Radio

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:03 am

I know there are plenty of topics out there on Raspberry Pi car units. The project I had in mind was originally to throw Anroid Auto on the My Rpi 3 and go from there. I know now that that isn't even possible yet. But I have seen some standard Android images from https://git.embedded.rwth-aachen.de/rta ... pberry-pi/

Having this available, how possible is it to install an FM receiver, and wire my car speakers to my Pi?

I want to use an old double din touchscreen head unit. Strip it of its insides (aside from the touchscreen panel and controls) and wire the screen and controls to a display control board and the GPIO pins, respectively.

I am not sure where to start exactly. I guess my first question would be first of all:

How feasible is this?

Secondly:

What hardware and other online resources would you recommend for this project? (assuming this project isn't too difficult)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm a computer science student, so the software side of things isn't too much for me, I just don't always understand the electronics and wiring end of things.

Thanks!

klricks
Posts: 6441
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Android Car Radio

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:16 am

brettsalyer wrote:I know there are plenty of topics out there on Raspberry Pi car units. The project I had in mind was originally to throw Anroid Auto on the My Rpi 3 and go from there. I know now that that isn't even possible yet. But I have seen some standard Android images from https://git.embedded.rwth-aachen.de/rta ... pberry-pi/
I would not count on a workable Android anytime soon. The RT version is not free. See blog here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/android-raspberry-pi/
brettsalyer wrote:Having this available, how possible is it to install an FM receiver, and wire my car speakers to my Pi?
I believe there are USB FM dongels...... The audio output from RPi is line level so you would need an audio amplifier of some sort.
brettsalyer wrote:I want to use an old double din touchscreen head unit. Strip it of its insides (aside from the touchscreen panel and controls) and wire the screen and controls to a display control board and the GPIO pins, respectively.

I am not sure where to start exactly. I guess my first question would be first of all:

How feasible is this?
Generally it would not be feasible to try and interface an unknown screen and controls. Even if you could find the necessary documentation, it would be a difficult task. I would suggest to use a proven working screen from Adafruit or other known company.

.......
....
.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

brettsalyer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:56 am

Re: Android Car Radio

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:56 am

Thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Other projects”