tntexplosivesltd

Re: Simple OS from scratch

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:26 am

Quote from adric22 on December 8, 2011, 01:31
The best bet would be to take an absolute minimal linux kernel compiled with all of the drivers that the Raspberry Pi uses, leaving everything else out. Leave out a lot of the legacy unix stuff. Then build a new GUI that is not based on X in any way. Sort of like MacOS X, BeOS, AtheOS, etc. (yes, I realize the last two are not Linux, but they are POSIX compliant with proprietary GUI)

It would be wicked fast and use very little RAM.

The last 2? OSX isn't Lunix either ;) it's unix-based

Mjiig

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:25 am

Quote from adric22 on December 8, 2011, 01:31
The best bet would be to take an absolute minimal linux kernel compiled with all of the drivers that the Raspberry Pi uses, leaving everything else out. Leave out a lot of the legacy unix stuff. Then build a new GUI that is not based on X in any way. Sort of like MacOS X, BeOS, AtheOS, etc. (yes, I realize the last two are not Linux, but they are POSIX compliant with proprietary GUI)

It would be wicked fast and use very little RAM.

I'm not saying that wouldn't be a good idea for general use, but it's not the point of this idea. This isn't just to make a fast/small operating system, it's for education purposes.

I love most the ideas that are getting posted though, still looking throught them all.

Angus

RobinJ

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Problem with most small OS-es that are text based, is that they are single threaded. Meaning, it's pretty hard to run 2 tasks at the same time (eg: do a virus scan, while copying files, while browsing, while also having an openoffice document opened)!
Just put... & ...behind the command to have it running in background.
Example: cp /home/robin /media/Data/backup -R &
Plus, to browse online, you need some form of GUI. I don't believe there are many internet browsers for text based OS'es!
Links
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.
Rule #2: A big bucket of water, window, or hammer can nullify Rule #1.

Return to “Other projects”