radu

Re: File manager, need someone with an Alpha board

Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:34 pm

I wrote a two panels, platform independent file manager in my spare time, and I would like to see if it runs properly on the RPI.
It uses SDL and SDL_ttf, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work, but I would like to know for certain if it works on ARM CPUs.
You can get the source (and windows binaries, if you want to try it on windows) from here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/fm.zip
On the RPI, you just need SDL devel and sdl_ttf devel, then make, and you should be good to go.

If someone could give it a try and post the results, I'd appreciate it.

P.S. This is alpha quality, not all the features are implemented, there might be bugs, but works fine for me.

radu

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:47 pm

No one? :/
I think this would be a pretty useful file manager for the RPi, because it doesn't need X and stuff, and it has some features mc doesn't.

Mjiig

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Quote from radu on December 5, 2011, 20:47
No one? :/
I think this would be a pretty useful file manager for the RPi, because it doesn't need X and stuff, and it has some features mc doesn't.

Can't be sure off the top of my head, but doesn't SDL use X in the background?
Angus

radu

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 pm

It can also use the frame buffer, without X.

Chris Tyler

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:08 pm

So it builds cleanly out of the box...

[[email protected] fm]$ time make
CC events.c
CC file_operations.c
CC files.c
CC global.c
CC gui.c
CC init.c
CC main.c
CC menu_handling.c
CC menus.c
CC misc.c
CC panels.c
CC text.c
LINK file_manager

real 0m11.290s
user 0m7.380s
sys 0m2.100s

And runs OK in X...

...both locally and remotely (ssh -X). It doesn't run on the framebuffer directly (not sure why; I'm not that familiar with SDL and may have missed something). Fonts are a bit small but otherwise it looks fine.

(The keyboard responsiveness seems a little off, especially on remote connections but also to some extent on local connections -- it doesn't seem to buffer keystrokes, so hitting (say) cursor down 5 times in a row won't necessarily move you down 5 lines. This is probably an SDL thing).

radu

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:11 pm

The colors are a little off, the normal files should have been white, not black.. Not sure why this happens. It is reasonably fast on a netbook, and runs very well on a desktop. I guess I'll have to wait until I get my board and fix it.

Return to “Other projects”