recantha

Re: How do I power Car LCD Monitor?

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:18 am

Your pic isn't showing - i think it's using a local address on your PC. You'll need to upload it somewhere first and use that URL. Apologies if you know this already ;-)
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

the_dude

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:39 am

recantha wrote:Your pic isn't showing - i think it's using a local address on your PC. You'll need to upload it somewhere first and use that URL. Apologies if you know this already ;-)
jeez, soooo embarrased :oops: Did know that a while back, excitement of my first experience with a soldering iron and a couple of JD's overcame me..

here you go, lets see if this works...

http://thedudesmail.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/pipad/

recantha

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Now _that_ is a result :-)
I've got virtually the same kit. Slightly worried about trying to power the screen... What I really want to do is power it with 5V from the GPIO pins... I know it can be done with a 3.5" screen, but with the 7" screen? I dunno...
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

the_dude

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:23 pm

recantha wrote:Now _that_ is a result :-)
I've got virtually the same kit. Slightly worried about trying to power the screen... What I really want to do is power it with 5V from the GPIO pins... I know it can be done with a 3.5" screen, but with the 7" screen? I dunno...
I went for the opposite route, screen I have is 12v, I intercepted some of the power via a de-cased car usb charger and fed that INTO the 5v & ground gpio pins, so far so good, running both on raspian on turbo and with raspbian (rc 4) with no probs apart from slight ficker (think I need to revisit my yellow cable to trimmed rca plug)

recantha

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Well! I tried it using Shea Silverman's method of 5V plus ground from the Pi into the 3.5" screen board. It didn't work - the screen flicks on (goes sort-of white) for a fraction of a second then goes off, then about 10 secs later it does the same, over and over again. I _suspect_ this means that the screen isn't getting enough power in, so I think I need to feed the 5V directly into a different place on the board.

Trouble is, I don't speak circuit board :-)
Goign to take it with me to the Jam tomorrow to see if anyone can read the board and tell me if there's a resistor I can by-pass.

C'est la vie!

omenie

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:14 am

I now have the same LCD panel -

It's currently running off an old 12V PSU I had hanging around, I plan on taking it to pieces and grubbing around inside to see if it can be modified to run off a 5v line the way my smaller 3.5" can. It is a pretty low resolution panel (I think 480x320) so will require a custom designed GUI to look decent.

If I get anywhere probing around for 5v inside it I'll let you know.

mypifi

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:04 pm

@OP I have the same screen and have run it from a 12v DC socket off of ebay and currently have it wired into a PSU for a pc that runs all my pi's. Basically red to red positive, Black to negative the other wire is meant to go to the reversing light line so when power goes to reversing light it turns the screen on, so is not needed for what you need it for so can be cut. I have also tried to run this as a 5v project but not been successful but will be getting another smaller screen soon to run off a usb socket. if you need anymore help then i have a blog at www.smstextaddict.co.uk where i did a write up on both my lcd monitor projects and with the psu supply project.

arduinobot

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Could you type your config.txt?
My LCD car monitor doesn't work and I think there is the problem, thanks :)

jward2305

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:06 pm

If you want to power the screen say for portability is it not possible to use AA batterys in a series they provide 1.5V each so you would need 8 AA's for 12V only problem may be the mah.Or use rechargeable
NIMH AA's which have a 2000-2200 mah but some only give 1.2V.And if there is a 5V regulator in the display anyways is it not possible to run it off of 9.6V?

Valentin0

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi. Instead of making a new thread I'll just ask for help here.
I've got the exact same monitor as you guys are speaking of. So I've bought two of these, and I'm gonna install them to the headreasts in my car with a Raspberry Pi (one in each front headrest).

So would it be possible to just connect the wires to the battery itself?

Return to “Other projects”