tyleranthony69
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Nano Thermal Printer

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi all,
I recently bought a nano thermal printer from adafruit to complete a project but I am having troubles with the printer. I though I had wired it up right on my Raspberry Pi A+ but wasn't able to get it to print a test page off the Raspian Jessie OS. I know the printer works because I can print the information sheet by pressing the button on the back. I have switched the RX on the printer to the TX on the pi and vice versa. I installed CUPS on another raspberry pi and put the SD card back in the A+ and still no luck. Theres lots of information on the tiny thermal printer not much info on the nano thermal printer. If anyone finds anything it would be a great help!

Thanks in advance,

Tyler

User avatar
scruss
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact: Website

Re: Nano Thermal Printer

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:20 pm

I don't have a nano thermal printer, but I'm pretty certain it's used the same way as the micro ones.

What are you trying to do with it? You may not need CUPS for many applications.
What model do you have? This matters, as some are serial, and some are USB.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

tyleranthony69
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: Nano Thermal Printer

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:12 am

scruss wrote:What are you trying to do with it? You may not need CUPS for many applications.
What model do you have? This matters, as some are serial, and some are USB.
Sorry about that.

Again here is the project (https://learn.adafruit.com/instant-came ... r/overview) although I couldn't get it to work so now I'm trying to get it just to print something. Also its a TTL serial. The details are here: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2752

User avatar
scruss
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact: Website

Re: Nano Thermal Printer

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:07 am

Okay, thanks. Where did you get to where it didn't work?

I'm surprised that the nano printer can operate from batteries. The printers use a lot of current. You didn't try to power it from the GPIO 5 V, did you?
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

tyleranthony69
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: Nano Thermal Printer

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:25 am

scruss wrote:Okay, thanks. Where did you get to where it didn't work?

I'm surprised that the nano printer can operate from batteries. The printers use a lot of current. You didn't try to power it from the GPIO 5 V, did you?
I've got it hooked up to a 6xAA battery holder with a 5v UBEC attached. As a last resort last night I did attach it it the 5v pin and ground and something happened because a little bit of paper came out with some gibberish on it when I tried to print something but it also crashed the pi (I assume the power draw was too much) thats when I hooked it back up to the batteries. After that it went back to doing nothing.

Should I not have done this?


tyleranthony69
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: Nano Thermal Printer

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:45 am

Okay I got it printing! I attached it to 5v and ground and the pi. I Switched the RX from the printer to TX on the pi and vice versa. It wasn't getting enough power from the usb alone so I attached a battery pack to the other 5v and ground.

User avatar
scruss
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact: Website

Re: Nano Thermal Printer

Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:02 pm

Yay! It's a good feeling when it works and you know why it works!
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

fastirq
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:00 am

Re: Nano Thermal Printer

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:14 am

Hi, I am also battling with the Nano Thermal printer. I am trying to build the " Instant Camera using Rasberry Pi and Thermal Printer by P. Burgess.

I bought the Rasberry Pi A3+ but now understand this unit is not compatible with the Nano Thermal Printer TTL ( TX RX) serial!

Anyone have a similar problem?
what is the best Raspberry Pi to use that will work with all the drivers that P. Burgess uses on his " Instant Camera using Thermal printer" project.

https://learn.adafruit.com/instant-came ... stem-setup

I was looking at the Rasberry Pi model A+ but I can't make out if its has wifi on board as I believe this is needed for the initial setup? Or is there another way around this?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I am running on a deadline for this Uni project.

Thank you
Phil

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19483
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Nano Thermal Printer

Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:34 am

fastirq wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:14 am
Hi, I am also battling with the Nano Thermal printer. I am trying to build the " Instant Camera using Rasberry Pi and Thermal Printer by P. Burgess.

I bought the Rasberry Pi A3+ but now understand this unit is not compatible with the Nano Thermal Printer TTL ( TX RX) serial!

Anyone have a similar problem?
what is the best Raspberry Pi to use that will work with all the drivers that P. Burgess uses on his " Instant Camera using Thermal printer" project.

https://learn.adafruit.com/instant-came ... stem-setup

I was looking at the Rasberry Pi model A+ but I can't make out if its has wifi on board as I believe this is needed for the initial setup? Or is there another way around this?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I am running on a deadline for this Uni project.

Thank you
Phil

There is a RPi 1A+ and a 3A+


According to the Adafruit site, which is confusing about model support, it would probably be best to stick to a RPi 1B+ and use a USB WiFi Adaptor:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... el-b-plus/


It should also be noted that the Adafruit Tutorial is written for end-of-life Raspbian Jessie Lite:

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 017-07-05/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Return to “Other projects”