anat

PiAstroHub for Autoguiding+DSLR+Goto+Astrometry

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:58 am

Hello,

I am working on using Raspberry Pi as a hub between the devices on a mount and a mobile device (iOS/Android). So, there is no cable between a telescope and a user. The functions of PiAstroHub are

1. Autoguiding by QHY5, QHY6, or Orion Startshoot autoguider which takes a series of images and sends correction signals to a mount.
2. Goto bridge between Skysafari (on iOS/Android) and a mount
3. DSLR control and image display
4. Astrometry (plate solving) to get the precise location where a telescope is pointing. And the location will be send to Skysafari to re-align a mount. So, an object of interest will be at the center of FOV.

This is my setup.

anat

Re: PiAstroHub for Autoguiding+DSLR+Goto+Astrometry

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:36 am

To control the autoguider, there are two possible options:
1) INDI and Open PHD guiding
http://code.google.com/p/open-phd-guiding/
2) Lin_guider
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linguider/

I found that INDI drivers and OpenPHD were very slow. So, I tried Lin_guider on Raspberry Pi. Lin_guider is so much faster than OpenPHD+INDI. Images are downloaded almost immediately after capturing. The steps to compile Lin_guider are as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------
sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev
sudo apt-get install libftdi-dev
sudo apt-get install fxload

>>>> copy lin_guider-26.0_static.tar.bz2 to /home/pi
tar -xvf lin_guider-26.0_static.tar.bz2

cd lin_guider

>>>> copy lin_guider-27.0_sfx.tar.bz2 to /home/pi/lin_guider
tar -xvf lin_guider-27.0_sfx.tar.bz2

sudo ./lin_guider.bin

>>> To install QHY5 firmware
[email protected] ~/lin_guider/udev/qhy5 $ sudo sh qhy5_lg_install.sh

>>>> To run program
cd /home/pi/lin_guider/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider
./lin_guider
---------------------------------------------------------

I also attach a photo showing how the program looks like on X-server (iSSH) on iPad.

anat

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:46 am

To control a telescope mount for Goto at a target object, I make PiAstroHub behave like "SkyFi" which redirects tcp communications to a serial port.
http://www.southernstars.com/products/skyfi/index.html

To use PiAstroHub as SkyFi bridging SkySafari on iOS/Android and a mount, follow these steps:

-------------------------------------------------
sudo apt-get install ser2net
sudo sed -i '$ a\5555:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:9600 NONE 1STOPBIT 8DATABITS' /etc/ser2net.conf
sudo /etc/init.d/ser2net restart
-------------------------------------------------

Then open SkySafari on iOS/Android, set Port as 5555. Done! PiAstroHub will function like SkyFi.

It is this simple. I recommend using a PL2303-based usb-serial adapter to connect PiAstroHub to a telescope mount.

I am working on a web application for camera control, autoguider data display and astrometry now :)

In summary, the following devices are connected to PiAstroHub
1) Autoguider (QHY5, Orion Starshoot Autoguider or QHY6)
2) DSLR camera
3) Telescope mount for goto control
4) iOS/Android phone/tablet for remote control of all devices via Wifi

anat

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:12 pm

I just added the plate-solving feature using the engine from astrometry.net which was capable to perform blind solving. After getting an image, I use plate-solving to find the exact pointing location and send the RA/DEC values to align a mount. The crosshair in Skysafari is also automatically in sync. So, Goto can be done from SkySafari with high pointing accuracy.

The steps to compile the Astrometry engine are as follows:

------------------------------------------------

sudo apt-get install libcairo2-dev libnetpbm10-dev netpbm libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev python-numpy zlib1g-dev
wget http://astrometry.net/downloads/astrome ... 38.tar.bz2
tar xjf astrometry.net-0.38.tar.bz2
cd astrometry.net-0.38
make
sudo make install
------------------------------------------------------

alexaggie

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:50 am

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Is it still working for you? Any new quirks you have discovered?

astrograph

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi, I tried to follow your description, and apparently it worked ok, as I am now able to start lin_guider.

But my QHY5 camera is not detected by lin_guider.

How can I check if the drivers for the camera are correctly installed?
How to check if the camera is detected properly by the OS?
(I am not able to watch the Pi boot process as I am connected only remotely by Wifi...)

thanks,

Philipp

krypt3r

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:05 am

Hello all.
astrograph, what camera model do you use? Supported QHY5 black/white only. This camera has full support in lin_guider (via ST4 autoguider port, do not use EQMOD cable). QHY5T, QHY5V, QHY5-II are not supported. Did you try to connect your camera to linux PC/laptop? Did you install firmware? What about user privileges?
PS. BTW you can try binary packages (DEB or RPM) to check camera on PC.

sulaco

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi,
Stumbled across this thread today an I'm now totally hooked on this for my guiding but I have the qhy5v version. Is there any way that the accommodation driver could be installed on the RaspPi to allow it to work with lin_guider as I believe PhD is too slow.
Thanks

krypt3r

Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:07 am

sulaco wrote:... I have the qhy5v version.
If you are ready to be a tester, you can email to developer of lin_guider.
BTW, support QHY5-II is coming soon...

anat

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:42 am

I post the open sourced package at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iastrohub/

Recently I used MK808 to interface with an autoguider and ccd or dslr because it is smaller, faster, and cheaper.

pfile

Tue May 21, 2013 3:41 am

i thought i had an original idea, but i'm glad that someone got to it first. thanks for posting your work on sourceforge.

radarboy

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:23 am

Ok, I have lin_guider 2.8, and it runs, but having problems with the QHY5 driver. I had it working briefly now, I get a message that it is unable to connect, yet the system sees it there. I am using the Indi_qhy_ccd driver....am I doing something wrong here?

radarboy

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:22 am

Ok, solved my issues with linguider accessing the QHY5, but now it seems to be waaaaay to aggresive in talking to my eq6. I do have the PI overclocked - would this cause problems? Any idea as to tweaking the settings? I am used to PHd which makes this very easy in comparison :)

blameitonthebuns

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi

Hope somebody can lighten my darkness a little
I am a complete noob with a pi, but have so far managed to load and install the normal start up stuff onto a card and get going.
I am intending to use a raspberry pi to create a travel autoguider built into an aluminium case with integrated screen, battery, keyboard and mouse etc.

Following the instructions in the thread I get to the sudo apt-get install fxload point apparently alright, but have no idea how to down load and open the lin guider software. I have downloaded and extracted to home/pi using MIDORI, or at least I think I have, but cannot seem to install or unpack it. Any Janet and John help in progressing further would be massively appreciated.

Blameitonthebuns

KokoroSan

Tue May 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Hello am new here . I wonder anyone have using Raspberry for Auto going on Astronomy imaging...
I have brought the board Raspberry Pi 3... Dunno where or how to start... Anyone did any video step by step are appreciated to help thx...Pls let me know on email or Email or Facebook [email protected]

KokoroSan

Return to “Other projects”