hootie

Smarti Pi Touch

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:04 pm

I ordered a Smarti Pi Touch just to support the guy for his initiative. I have a new display that I already mounted a Pi 3 to. The first thing I find is you can't mount it in the Smarti PI Touch with the Pi already attached to the display. Not the best of designs in my opinion. The other thing to note is it comes with absolutely no instructions. Not even a one page simple diagram. Obviously one can figure the thing out if you look at it long enough... but I guess I expected a little more out of it. Overall the construction seems solid... though mine had excess plastic here and there I had to scrape off. Working in the plastics field for years... I know it's just a matter of someone taking a little more time to clean up the pieces.

If you don't mind attaching your Pi after you install the screen, and don't mind figuring out how it all goes together without logging on to the website (which I'm assuming has some instructions), it's not all bad. I'd like to see the one they advertise as the official one on the Element site to compare.

timrowledge

Re: Smarti Pi Touch

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:34 pm

I got one too. I'm impressed. It took about 5 minutes total to install the Pi and really, carping about having to undo a whole 4 screws seems a bit much. Yes, there is a guide video on the website but I don't see much need for it for most people - the only details not obvious are the placing of the little padding squares. Hard to beat for $26.

I also have an original SmartiPi case and rate it very highly.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

Steve Drain

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:44 pm

timrowledge wrote:I got one too. I'm impressed. It took about 5 minutes total to install the Pi and really, carping about having to undo a whole 4 screws seems a bit much. Yes, there is a guide video on the website but I don't see much need for it for most people - the only details not obvious are the placing of the little padding squares. Hard to beat for $26.
Mine arrived on Monday and I echo every word. It is even neater with an A+.

hootie

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:57 pm

Yes... the guy did a really good job with this case. I'm a product designer... and I guess tend to pick things apart more than most people. I do think you should be able to assemble the thing with the Pi already attached. We call that a design flaw in my business. But, don't get me wrong... I didn't need this case. I bought it to support this guy for his work, and for having the guts to see a product all the way through to completion. And for the most part think it's a really good case for the display if you are looking for one. I'd like to see one of the other cases out there like the Eleduino, etc. just to see what they have going for them.

hootie

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:00 pm

carping
That just makes me laugh... the actual word, and the fact that someone is actually using it to basically call me a whiner. But it's all good... I can laugh at myself too. :lol:

murratw

Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:35 pm

I am the creator of the SmartiPi Touch. I'm glad that the case is finally getting into users hands. The reason the Pi is not assembled into the screen is to reduce the thickness of the case. Offsetting the Pi to one side reduces the thickness of the case. Compare the thickness to the SmartiPi to other cases and you will see the difference. You also don't need to take the display out ever, so having that separate from the display is more logical in my opinion. The Pi can also be removed with no tools in the SmartiPi which is not the case for other cases.

I tried to make the instructions on the video as clear as possible. I hope it helps users assemble it more easily. The video url is in every package.

karrika

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:55 pm

The case is very modular. It is easy to attach it to the wall or on top of some other electronics. You can also mount the Pi completely on the outside for access to HDMI and SD card. For HAT cards the Pi is inside the case and the HAT outside. I cannot really think about anything I would like to change.
Highly recommended

hootie

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:34 pm

karrika wrote:The case is very modular. It is easy to attach it to the wall or on top of some other electronics. You can also mount the Pi completely on the outside for access to HDMI and SD card. For HAT cards the Pi is inside the case and the HAT outside. I cannot really think about anything I would like to change.
Highly recommended
Do you have an advertising agreement with SmartiPi Touch? lol

Yeah... it's a decent product. Allow me to "CARP" :lol: a bit though. I'm guessing most people who have already bought an Official Pi screen immediately attached their Pi's to it. Now the SmartiPi Touch comes along... they buy it, and have to disassemble their Pi from the screen to install it. My question would be "why?". If I had the chance to improve the design down the line... that's what I would put my effort into.

That being said... I am working on a commercial product that uses the Official Pi screen. I may buy allot of the SmartiPi Touches. Knowing how they need to be assembled will obviously save me time. So I DON'T dislike the product.

hootie

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:26 am

So I finally got around to putting this thing together. Much to my dismay... because I had to disconnect the Pi from the screen, the plastic holder on the screen connector broke as I was removing the flex cable. Wonderful... 2 hours to get the cable to stay in the connector without the plastic snap in piece. I managed.... but boy do I have the worst luck.

The rest of it was simple, and I would say it is very well designed and easy to put together. I like the power cables that come with it... and the mounting.

I'll be using it the next few days and think it will work great for my application. Definitely worth the $.

karrika

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:00 am

hootie wrote:I'll be using it the next few days and think it will work great for my application. Definitely worth the $.
You also seem to have an advertising agreement with SmartiPi Touch :D

I actually have two of these cases and have no plans to get more of them. One is in the theater and the other one at home (also doubles as a backup).

hootie

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:20 pm

karrika wrote:
hootie wrote:I'll be using it the next few days and think it will work great for my application. Definitely worth the $.
You also seem to have an advertising agreement with SmartiPi Touch :D
Touche`

I like it overall, but the more I look at it, not sure if I can use it in my product. I have a custom SlushEngine that's needs to be mounted, and a power supply. I can separate the screen and all that... but, was thinking of designing a sheet metal enclosure for all of it. Screen mounted directly to the box. We'll see. I think SmartiPi should send each of us like 10 of these for all the good advertising :D

MysticWhiteDragon

Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:37 am

I think it's a great design and well thought out. The only thing IF I had to nit-pick would be to add the excess on the right side as well to make the screen centered. However, this is a great case. I moved to Japan over a year ago and had to sell my car which had a navigation unit. Now, I'm renting a car through my company and it has a double DIN but a single slot old fashion radio. I bought the SmartiPi Touch case, just so I can get a nice navigation unit back, mostly for music playback. The separation of the display board and the Pi helps keep it thin for use case scenarios such as mine. It may look a little out of place sticking out one to 1.5 inches, but better than sticking out further than that.

All in all, for the price and the design, I think it would be hard to come across such a well thought out and implemented design.

hootie

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Hey, stop "carping" about small issues. lol

Personally, I don't mind it's not centered so much. But I guess if it had the same lego design on the other side that would be ok. But it would end up being even bigger than it is now. Not sure how many people would want something that big. Let's face it... no matter how something is designed... it's human nature to look for deficiencies. Overall, it's a good case. I've been using it for the last 3 days and like it.

MysticWhiteDragon

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:02 pm

@hootie

I agree that it is a great case and fits PERFECTLY with my plans to implement it into a carputer. I rent a car through my company since I moved to Japan, and since I can't do anything about not having a navigation unit in my car (mainly for music), this case combined with KODI makes it a great carputer!

hootie

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:08 pm

@ MysticWhiteDragon

I heard you can buy used women's panties from vending machines in Japan. Is that true, and if yes, are you broke now? :o

To keep this SmartiPi Touch related.... I bet you can use a Pi and display to run those vending machines!!! :D

MysticWhiteDragon

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:14 am

@hootie

First, I haven't seen any other those machines. Of course I'm not looking for them either.

Second, I am keeping the thrread related. I bought the SmartiPi touch and am using it in my rental car as a carputer. It fits in the car real nice. It's perfect for uses like that.

hootie

Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:04 am

@MysticWhiteDragon

Hey... what happens in Japan, stays in Japan ;)

I bought one originally just to support the guy for his efforts. I have ended up liking it quite a bit. I'm using it doing some Tkinter and Python stuff while waiting for a custom motor controller board to show up. I don't know what display cases look like... but, this one is worth the $.

Mister_C

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Thomas Murray (Mr Smarti case himself) has posted some accessories for the SmartPi touch on Thingiverse
http://www.thingiverse.com/Smarticase/designs

I like the look of the larger back piece, it covers a HAT and therefore the GPIO pins which were left vulnerable in the original design.

(I have no affiliation to Mr Murray, other than being a satisfied customer)

hootie

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:21 am

IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 5331 times
Ok... found my first eh, when it comes to the case. I still like it, but found what I think is a flaw. I had a custom board developed in which my Pi can mount directly to it. So, I could get a longer ribbon and remove the Pi from the display. My new board even has power connections for the display. The custom board works with Python code so and they sent me a micro chip with proven code on it, etc. I just wanted to swap out the cards really quick to check what's on it, and low and behold... you can't access it with this case. It would be easy to give it access, but molds are already made....

Not everyone has the ability to put a micro on their computer and available for download. Plus in my case... the chip is actually tested working, and I need to use it vs the other chip. So I have to take the Pi out. It's ok though... and obviously a small inconvenience. I'm just going to mount the Pi on my custom board and run a longer ribbon cable to reach it. The custom board also powers the Pi. So no more Pi power supplies

drmacro

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:59 pm

I recently put together a plex server using this case and a Pi 3.

I tried the deep back hat cover, but had to remove it because the Pi kept showing the overheat icon.

I have heat sinks on both chips (but, the case covers the smaller one.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Other projects”