CaptSunset

The Pi Alexa Project

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:56 pm

There are oddly few posts here from folks who have successfully managed to get Alexa's voice coming from from their Raspberry Pi's

I've gotten all the parts together, hmmm, well the USB speaker/mic adapter isn't as advertised and I need to change that out, mebbe for the 'old webcam' approach.

First, there's the Wheezy/Jessie issue; then there's the Pi3B when the Amazon info was written for the Pi2B.

People have mentioned them, but not really what they did about them. Also, is it worth the effort?

I have one question for now, and would like any advice for any stage of it as well...

The instructions take me into lots of unknown territories, from ssh to modifying VLC to well, I can spend 20 minutes just thinking up a good password, so-

What are good stopping points in those Amazon instructions?
(I don't really have a whole day available anytime soon- just 2-3 hours at a stretch.)

The first one is obviously after installing Raspian & upgrading it. Later it gets less obvious where you could shut down the Pi til tomorrow, or boning up on some aspect you thought you understood... :roll:

fruitoftheloom

Re: The Pi Alexa Project

Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:20 am

You appear to have not linked to what guides you are following.

This is recent: https://github.com/sammachin/AlexaPi/bl ... /README.md
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

CaptSunset

Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:18 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:You appear to have not linked to what guides you are following.
This is recent: https://github.com/sammachin/AlexaPi/bl ... /README.md
Thanks once again, FotL; that's some help but forgive my level of ignorance. :shock:

If I may whinge just a bit:

First thing it says at that github link in title-super-bold is "18/04/2016 I am working on a v1.1 of this incorporating as many fixes and pull requests as possible, look for a new verison in the next week or so."

That was about six weeks ago; which with my limited experience, meant there's some really stubborn bugs or it's becoming abandonware. Looking at the Issues tab shows not just technical problems, but philosophical ones, like always on listening... https://youtu.be/ZFGe9_Zo66c

Github is still very much unknown territory to me (and I expect others without formal coding education); often it is like having aviation engineers explain the combat benefits of the flexible frame Spitfire- exciting, but largely incomprehensible to those who will never be aviation engineers.
Or, it's more like written instructions for tying your shoes- easy enough to do, once you've done it; hard enough to explain either way.

SamMachin's procedure is covered in two pages, including adding the switch & LED indicator lights.
It's very different from the Amazon project guide; much is left between the lines.
I'm just venting all this because I come here for the accurate info on things Pi - Github isn't really there for teaching, and there might still be some youngster who knows even less than me ;) ...

And then there are folks who've apparently breezed thru it all OK, and they don't post about it.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

Return to “Other projects”